ProffieOS7.x "Alt Font" pre-alpha discussion

In ProffieOS7 the “Alt Font” capability will allow style code to change the font sounds being used by setting up “altNNN” folders within the font.

This may not look like much on the surface, but this is a key piece to a whole new level of synergy between styles and fonts.
In OS7, style code will now be able to change the sounds your font is using in real-time. “Alt” font is a new way to set up your fonts to work with styles so that you can change any and all sounds in the font to match to the visual effects.
Here are some demos I’ve shot so far but there are many more uses.

Alt Font can be used with Kyber Select styles to allow the change in color/effect to also align to a specific “alt” folder in your current font.

Alt Font can be used with ColorSelect<> styles for Dual Phase or Multi Phase blades so each color/effect aligns to a specific “alt” folder.

Alt Font can also be used with “interactive” styles to create “states” in your blade styles that not only change how the blade looks but how it sounds for a temporary or toggled effect

In order to implement you will need to set up “alt” folders in your font for the sounds you want to toggle/synchronize and then include the necessary transitions (coming soon) in the style code to interact with the font.

Setting Up “alt” sounds in your font.

What this means is you can set up any of the sounds you want to change via the style code in an “altXXX” folder. So let’s say we want to change the hum, in, out, swingh, swingl and swng sounds in our current font to match to visual changes in the style code.

We would set up the font like so:

<root>
alt000/
alt001/
alt002/
alt003/
alt004/
bgndrag/
bgnlb/
bgnlock/
bgnmelt/
blst/
boot/
clsh/
drag/
enddrag/
endlb/
endlock/
endmelt/
font/
force/
lb/
lock/
melt/
quote/

you’ll then put the hum, in, out, swingh, swingl, swng sounds into the “altXXX” folders, this will allow these sounds to be selected by the style code

<root>
alt000/
     hum/
     in/
     out/
     swingh/
     swingl/
     swng/

alt001/
     hum/
     in/
     out/
     swingh/
     swingl/
     swng/

alt002/
     hum/
     in/
     out/
     swingh/
     swingl/
     swng/

alt003/
     hum/
     in/
     out/
     swingh/
     swingl/
     swng/

alt004/
     hum/
     in/
     out/
     swingh/
     swingl/
     swng/

NOTE: every altXXX sound needs to have the EXACT same number of files. So if alt000 has 4 hums, 4 in, 4 out, 8 swingh, 8 swingl and 16 swng then every other altXXX needs the exact same number of files for each. If there are a different number of sounds you will get “error in font directory”.

alt001 sounds are always used by default, alt selection in the style code is done starting at 0, so selection 0 = “alt000” sounds, selection 1 = “alt001” sounds a so forth.

You can use any sounds you want in the alts, so you can combine multiple fonts into a single font folder and use in a preset and then change the sounds accordingly via the style code. Any and all sounds in a font can be moved into an “altXXX” folder and then be selected by the style code.

<The style side is not merged yet, once added I’ll document how it works here>

3 Likes

I should also mention that I intend to make it so that a style can easily synchronize the “alt” and the “variant” numbers so that you can have different sounds for different variations on the blade.

3 Likes

Cool, but at the moment:

I’ll get it once immersing I suppose.

2 Likes

Now this me likey.

1 Like

Question: when using alternate fonts in kyber select if one blade style has a preon and the another’s do not how is that set up? Or will the blade style be able to decipher that?

Alt fonts all have to match, the sounds and number of files for each sound need to be the same for all ‘alts’ or you will get an error in font directory.
In theory, you could use a 1 second “silent” preon sound and the preon visual effect wouldn’t really show (if using WavLen<>) but there needs to be a sound file present.

1 Like

So I was going to setup a few fonts for the up coming alt “fontname/hum/000/001.wav”.
and made sure each font had the same amount of folders and wav files in each folder
BUT!!!
I’m still a little confused or maybe a lot.
So to setup an alt font should it look like this? :
“Luke/hum,blst,in,out…ect/000.wav”
“Ben/hum,blst,in,out…ect/001.wav”
and how is it setup?
rename font folder?
like this?
alt/000/hum
alt/001/hum on the folders name?
or in the blade style?
I’ve tried to rename the wav sound but it won’t accept /". so do all of the wav files have to be in there own folders and rename each folder as such :
alt/000/hum
alt/001/hum
alt/000/out
alt/001/out
Just a little example would be a relief :face_with_spiral_eyes:
and maybe how the top of a blade style should look

{ “Fracture;common”, “common/tracks/Halotrak.wav”,
StylePtr<Layers<ColorChange<TrFade<1000>,StaticFire

See the examples on how to set up the font at bottom of the first post :wink:.

There’s no change in how you set up the preset, it’s set up in the font folders on the SD and the style code.

I’m working with font makers on examples for the style code side.

1 Like

Topic bump. I’m looking at the pod info instructions on alt font folder structuring and noticed in the case I am dealing with using Kyberphonic’s fonts that I may also want to include added folders to cover anything else custom or different? This way since I also use the define SAVE_STATE when I goto re-ignite or shut the saber off the correct sounds play with the different fonts and bladestyles and blade colors? Like if I use different quotes with different blade colors from different scenes/sections of game. Silly, I know,

Will the alt folders recognize other inserted folders that the pod doesn’t address?

First, you’re going to have to remove the screenshots. You can accomlish the same example in text .
To list files recursively with paths to files (and write to a file.txt), Open Terminal,
cd to directory (type cd SPACE then drag folder to window and hit return)
then
find . -type f -print > file.txt

Secondly, could you re-word your question more clearly?

Nevermind, I figured it out. :smiley:

1 Like

I don’t know if this has been talked about but are the specific font folders when you change the font excluded from the change?

alt000/font/font.wav
alt001/font/font.wav

I keep getting the same main font sound when switching font back and forth.

Everything else works for me fine:)

Yes — and no…

I think it will find font sounds in the alt folders just fine, but I think the alt number is reset to zero when you change fonts, so you probably always get the first one.

Hey, So I’m configuring the new proffieboard and I have a soundfont that has the following folder structure, Ghostbusters/Proton_Pack, Ghostbusters/SLIME_PACK, Ghostbusters/Stasis_Pack,

and I created a multiphase for the three soundfonts in the Ghostbusters folder, with mexit, menter and mselect

so I updated the subfolders alt000 001 and 002 respectively I think this will work, all the files I fixed so that there’s the same files in all three.

1 Like

Those are menu sounds, what are you trying to do?

just wanted to know if I need to remove those from the font folder for the alt font to work?

Nope, alt font just requires the same files and number of files are in each alt folder, the other sounds in the font can be there.

1 Like