Desktop does not recognize Board, all common solutions attempted

Since windows obviously isn’t telling you what’s wrong. (That would just be too easy), you need to start with taking out the SD card and see if it reads reads ok in an SD card reader. If that’s not the problem, then I would try re-programing the board without the mass storage option for a while.

Another option is that the board is crashing as soon as you connect to it. Not sure why that would be, but usually the solution is to re-program it, and if it keeps happening, then format the sd card.

The board I had plugged in to try this was completely 100% brand new, no SD card inserted.

There is a chance I removed something I shouldn’t have from the computer while trying to purge everything out of it. Not even reinstalling windows (chose keep all my files option) fixed it.

Ah, try adding an sd card.

Absolutely nothing happens when I add the SD card, (no chime, no notification, 100% nothing) but I can force bootloader by doing the button push… Am I back to square one now?

Oh forgot to mention. It shows up as STM32 Bootloader in Dev Mgr, as well as Devices/Printers. Doesn’t show up there as Proffieboard.

Sounds like it isn’t even programmed?
Where did you get it?

This particular one is from Tritium. Has your mark on it. I tried another one, this one from KR Sabers and boom, loaded right up as it should, with Proffieboard in the Devices/Printers menu.

So it sounds like now, the KR boards are good, but the Tritium boards are only showing up as Mass Storage devices? Or something like that? In theory, if I were to force bootload and flash these, would they be ok from there?

Just kidding, the KR boards STILL don’t show up unless I force bootload. And when I force bootload, it goes from Proffieboard in the Devices/Printers window to just STM32 Bootloader… Ughhh!!!

The board shows up as STM32BOOTLOADER…when it’s in bootloader mode.
When it’s booted to ProffieOS (not pushing buttons) it shows up as Proffieboard.
The SD card is a different story.
I suggest making sure you ran Zadig on the newly-purged-system you have there, force bootloader on the Proffieboard, and just hit upload in Arduino with a known-good OS and config file in place.

So it sounds like I am stuck tearing down my build to get to the buttons to force bootloader, and am stuck doing this for every build I have. Is that what I’m hearing? I watched and re-watched the video 100x and everything is 100% perfect. It legitimately doesn’t seem that there is any solution to this.

Also add into the mix now that it looks like I have five DOA boards… The five Tritium boards Don’t show up in Devices/Printers even after flashing. Did my flash even take? I don’t mind bootloading and flashing these five before I install them if they will actually work.

Both frustrated and tired AF, will check back in with yall in the AM.

Nobody is suggesting tearing anything down. (At least not hardware-wise).
However, some fiddling with the software may be warrented. The weird thing you showed in the video earlier might just be a case of not having an SD card though. If you have your board programmed for mass storage, but no SD card, it behaves weird. It’s not been a high priority to fix since people almost always have SD cards in their boards.

Caught me right before I dozed off lol

By tearing down, I was referring to a lengthy disassembly of a metal chassis to get to the buttons so I could fix my error.

I’m happy to try absolutely anything software-wise, but I’ll need a nudge in the right direction at this point. Everything on your video was dead-on accurate, except my serial driver I believe was a slightly newer version.

Regarding the tritium boards, what would cause them to not show up correctly (don’t show up at all in Devices/Printers until I push buttons) like the KR board I tried does? Are they somehow formatted for mass storage only? If so, it wasnt by anything i did. I did verify, however, that my flash did take, but it still doesnt show up. Still a software issue? Lmk if you’d prefer me to start a new thread for that particular issue, happy to do so if you need.

Like I said; try putting an SD card in them before plugging them in and see if that works better.

Plugging in SD card stops it from “boot looping”, but it’s still not recognized by the computer. The KR boards show up in dev/printers with or without cards but never in Dev. Mgr. Without using buttons.

I think it will show up in the device manager, but it may show up in a different category than the KR boards depending on how they are programmed. Either way, those differences should be washed away when you program the board yourself.

I flashed one last night to try, and it definitely took. I popped the SD card in. Looped the speaker wires around the pads and touched the battery cables to those pads and i got my font selection sound. I’ll go up and look to see if there is anything in device manager that it could be in a little bit.

In the meantime, any other thoughts on the main issue of the boards not showing up in device manager/not being able to flash until buttons are pressed? Sounds like we might have hit a wall there.

You’re not really providing a lot of information about what you do, what you try and what works and what doesn’t work, so it’s really hard to help you properly.

I don’t recommend using device manager, because it can be really hard to find the boards there. Use “Devices and Printers” instead. If the board doesn’t show up there, then it would seem that it is crashing early on when you connect it. There are lot of reasons why this could be happening, but ALL of them should be resolved by re-programming the board and inserting a new SD card. If that doesn’t help, then we’re either looking for a driver problem on your computer, or a faulty board.

So did you re-program the board?
Did you put in an SD card? Is it a freshly formatted SD card? What did you use to format it?
When you re-programmed the board, what settings did you use?
What config file did you use?
Have you tried rebooting your computer? (windows gets unhappy when devices fails too many times sometimes.)
Have you tried a different USB port?
Have you tried a different USB cable?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but really I just don’t really know what is workign and what isn’t which is why I end up repeating the same advice over and over again.

No worries! I’ll get back to you with answers to all of these in a little bit. Really appreciate it!

Don’t know how to do your cool block quotes reply trick, so forgive me for just copy/pasting lol… Here goes!

“I don’t recommend using device manager, because it can be really hard to find the boards there. Use “Devices and Printers” instead.”

• When I do this, Proffieboard shows up on Devices/Printers just fine, with all correct drivers according to your video. However, Port is greyed out in Arduino and trying to upload ends in the 1-10 count in the compiler.

“So did you re-program the board?”

• I am only able to reprogram by forcing bootloader, but yes. However, the situation above still presents.

“Did you put in an SD card? Is it a freshly formatted SD card? What did you use to format it?”

• In the instances I am trying, all my SD cards are formatted as FAT32 through windows formatting utility. Card in vs out makes no difference. At least with this problem vs the other one we were discussing. I’ll break that off into a new thread eventually, don’t want to keep going back/forth between issues.

“When you re-programmed the board, what settings did you use?”

• What specifically do you mean in terms of settings? I force bootloader, ignore greyed out port and upload anyway, which does work. I feel like that might not answer your actual question though, so let me know if you need more info on that one.

“What config file did you use?”

• I’ve been using the configs I wrote specifically for each saber in question respectively. Is there a different one I should try?

“Have you tried rebooting your computer?”

• Yessir, I’ve rebooted a few times and no dice.

“Have you tried a different USB port?”

• I have four on the front of my machine and a few (idr the actual number, sorry!) unused ones at the back. Tried them all, still no dice.

“Have you tried a different USB cable?”

• I have two good quality braided cables that are know good that I have been using. One straight, one right angle. They’ve both worked 100% fine until recently.

HOWEVER… I may have found my smoking gun…

I noticed the issue right around the time I went from OS5.7 to OS6 (Started on 6.3, moved to 6.5 during the course of troubleshooting). When I was upstairs just now running tests to answer your question, I plugged in a saber that I had not yet updated to 6.5 and it worked PERFECTLY. Port detected in Arduino, Proffieboard appeared in Devices/Printers, STM32 Bootloader showed up in Dev. Mgr. and config flashed correctly with zero need to touch buttons. After flashing to 6.5, it began displaying the EXACT SAME behavior as all the other ones I have tried. I am beginning to think this may be a weird OS issue/ OS vs. Driver issue of some kind. The only oddity with that theory is that the problem is still present on 100% brand new untouched boards. I think I have one more KR board left that is still sealed in the plastic that I can triple check this theory with and let you know.

Hope that helps us take a step forward, let me know what your thoughts are, as well as if there’s anything else you want me to try or more info you need.

Thanks soooo much!!!