Desktop does not recognize Board, all common solutions attempted

That’s what it was I did last week along with cleaning the device. I don’t mess w pc’s for that reason. Too much versus dump and delete then restart.

@profezzorn True. Should’ve tried that myself. Bookmarked for future reference if I ever have to lend another assist in the future.

I tried everything in that vid that Brian posted. Everything on my end showed up as it did on your vid except STM32 Bootloader didn’t show up in device manager and therefore couldn’t flash. Is there a different step I need to take in order to check/fix the port driver vs the bootloader driver? It looks like the bootloader driver is the one your vid primarily targeted.

And yeah I had the exact same thought about the cables. Just wanted to make sure I didn’t miss anything.

I think I finally have every last trace of old Arduino and Zadig out of my computer. I’d definitely prefer not to need to dump and reinstall windows haha… I’ll check in again tomorrow. Sorry for the late reply, was getting my butt kicked by another saber on a hardware level. Many thanks!

Goes to get popcorn to see how deep he had to go w this.

*Share the solution, no matter how horrible it may get. Other’s will benefit.

This took me to almost 2am. My Computer decided I wasn’t allowed to delete some of the hidden ProffieOS files, which sent me down the most asinine rabbit hole to get rid of… Will get everything reinstalled sometime today and get back to you as soon as I hear back from Fredrik about the port driver.

I’m not aware of any hidden ProffieOS files.
What files are you referring to?

Following @A_Rogue_Child 's advice from above. Deleted everything I knew where to find then doubled back with a system search to find anything else, using “proffie” and “arduino” as keywords.

Other than uninstalling Proffieboard device and uninstalling Arduino, are there any drivers etc I should hunt down and get rid of as well?

Sorry I haven’t had a chance to get back to this yet today, busy putting out fires on other sabers in the small gaps in dad duty today haha

Will get back to it tonight for sure.

Sorry lol realized I didn’t completely answer your question. When I did that search, there were arduino files (not proffieOS, my mistake) in the system32/drivers(something to do w drivers, don’t remember offhand) directory.

EDITED: Cliff-Note version, stupid random reference or whatever files that after you go and remove them, after uninstalling Arduino, or even before uninstalling Arduino and they reappear WITHOUT having reinstalled Arduino. @Lord-Anubis can probably explain better than me what they are.

i have to admit that @A_Rogue_Child seems to be on to something here.
i too have a Dell Laptop and also had a problem with getting my proffie to connect properly recently.
i did the scripted uninstalling / removing of proffie board and drivers that i was aware of and then restarted with a fresh install and Zadig.
but to no avail.

the thing that did it for me was removing an “unknown Device” from device manager under “other devices.” (this was mentioned in the Zadig Video @profezzorn did but it was different from what i had to remove. (i’m sure it must be the same thing but something is wrong with windows 10 and it doesn’t know what it is for.)

Screenshot (274)_LI
(sorry for the screen shot but thought it would help)

once i removed this i reconnected my proffie board and ran Zadig and hey presto!
everything was as it should be again.

hope this helps.

1 Like

The device manager is terrible for finding devices.
I suggest using “devices and printers” instead.

ForceMantle, if you don’t know how to help, then please don’t.

this is very true.
but my issue was not picked up in “devices and printers”, so had to delve a bit deeper.
just another reason to drop windows in favour of another operating system :grin:

Very interesting! I’ll look around to see if anything like that jumps out at me on both device manager and devices/printers menu.

My machine is a custom built rig so I don’t know how that plays into the Dell theory. I might not get a chance to sit down with this tonight after all, but as soon as I can I’ll jump on and let everyone know.

@profezzorn You have a DM.

@Driftrotor James, thanks for chiming in. I am doing as asked and backing off this topic. I am not a pc expert and could only share what I was experiencing. It seems you see the same so IMHO if you all keep finding similar take it up in here and advise Fredrik. PC’s shouldn’t do that.

if you do please be careful as removing the wrong thing could have unpleasant consequences.
before i removed it i made very sure it was not meant for something important and all my other drivers / devices were accounted for.
i also made a back up of my entire OS so if anything stopped working i could revert back to before it all went wrong.
windows is problematic at the best of times.

good luck with your endeavour and post up if you find the issue.

@profezzorn I am finally able to jump back into this, so sorry to leave you hanging.

Before I begin to reinstall everything, you had mentioned something the other day about my Port Driver being the likely cause of my issue. How do I make sure those drivers are correctly and completely cleaned out before I reinstall?

You shouldn’t have to do anything to your serial port driver. It should “just work”.
If you (or something you installed) did something to it, you can check and fix it the same way I do in this video:

If it’s something you installed, it’s possible that the problem re-appears, in which case you would need to uninstall that software in order to make it work again.

I reset my computer after trying”” to do the video and it seems to have worked

1 Like

Yeah I wound up needing to reinstall windows anyway, haven’t tried yet to see if it did the trick but I’m hopeful.

Now this is happening, even after reinstalling windows. I’m freaking beside myself right now… Wtf do I do from here???