The Measuring Machination

This is the multimeter I’ve been using since 2018

It’s been working really well, and while I need something better when measuring nanoamps, it’s accurate enough for just about everything else I do.
If you really want the scoop on which multimeter is best, I recommend checking out the eevblog site and videos, but if you just need a reasonably good multimeter, this one seems fine to me.

3 Likes

I<3MyFluke87V but I’m biased. I know a bunch of guys w the Astro and if it holds up to shop use I won’t fault your choice. It’s solid and has great stuff.

Fluke87V is supposed to be very good, but is it 20 times better than the AtroAI 6000?
(It costs more than 20 times as much on Amazon right now.)

I have a Fluke 179 and an Amprobe AM-510. Amprobe is a good choice. It is not as expensive as Fluke but more robust than AstroAI. The Fluke 87V is over kill for most people.

Opinions vary, mine was via a program so I got a deal on it as well as the accessories they included so it all works alongside the PICO for diagnostic stuff. At the end of the day it’s whatever gets the job done under someone’s specific needs and budget IMHO.

I have the Klein MM400 off of that comparison. For what I use it for it’s been great, and I like that it came with the K-Type adapter, since I have other K-Type thermocouples kicking around.

Can’t go wrong with Fluke, but for the same cost (or less) as the Fluke 179 or 87V, I would rather get a Siglent SDM3045X, but 99% of the electronics work I do is on a bench so I don’t really need the portability.

I have SDM3055 on my desk. Pretty good, yet not as good as I would like it to be. Really the only complaint I have is that when measuring really small currents, the values will fluctuate when it switches between ranges.

That sounds about right, the more precision you want the higher the price bracket. We ran Siglent stuff in the lab I worked in, as well as some B&K stuff, and never had a problem with either brands. Admittedly we were using them for pretty coarse measurements. Anything precision we ran through DAQs, which were super sensitive and accurate, but cost multiple thousands.

I bought by Fluke 179 about 12 years ago, for about half of what it costs now. These things are crazy over priced now!