Teaser - New Interactive "Kyber Select" Blade Styles for ProffieOS6

Taking advantage of the interactive style capabilities I’ve designed the new “Kyber Select” styles to work like a Kyber Crystal selection in the Fallen Order or Jedi Academy video games or the Galaxy’s Edge saber building experience.
The “Kyber Select” styles will let you select your Kyber Crystal color before you first ignite the saber and lock that choice in for the duration of use. This is not Color Changing or Color Editing, this is an Interactive “state” before your first ignition where you are able to select the Crystal color from your pre-selected options.
Once the blade is ignited that crystal color is locked in until you reboot the saber or change presets. The concept behind these is to give you a single preset that can be one of up to 6 colors and you can change that crystal each time you use the saber without changing presets, colors or editing. The selection is done by rotating the hilt before your first ignition of that preset.
There are a few options for selection:
#1 - Emitter Flare Selection - creates a temporary colored flare at your emitter before igniting to allow you to select the color Once you select and ignite your blade the color is locked in and the Emitter Flare is removed.
#2 - Hidden Selection - no visible selection but uses rotation to go through colors prior to ignition if you want to make it seem like the crystal is choosing based on your connection to the Force or it can be paired with a “Kyber Select” Off Effect for a Crystal Chamber or Accent LED.
You can also use the Hidden Selection to have a little fun with friends and family and hand them the saber and tell them “it will choose it’s color based on their connection to the Force” like a padawan first building their saber or as seen in the Visions Episode “The Ninth Jedi”. Since there is no identification of the selected color depending how they hold the saber at ignition it will be a different color. To reset the color just change presets or cut power and reboot.
Kyber Select will be coming to my Style Library very soon, so keep an eye out.
More to come…

2 Likes

I like the idea of the hidden one. Is it possible to have it change the soundfont as well?

1 Like

Not with this methodology, style code can’t change a font. Something like that would have to be handled at the prop level.

1 Like

Could be a fun easter egg to show off a saber?

1 Like

Can’t wait to see it also do the subtle changes in the fonts/hums along with the crystal change. There’s small differences.

1 Like

This kind of reminds me of the sorting hat from Harry Potter.

1 Like

Can you change the size of the emitter flare?

1 Like

It is editable in Edit Mode or ProffieOS Workbench as “Emitter Size” but I’ll have to program it in the Library to let you adjust ahead of time and preview. I’ll try to fit it in with the next update, shouldn’t be too hard.

2 Likes

This is exactly what I was looking for, awesome! It will be really nice to use with a crystal chamber whenever you get it working with accents as well as the main blade, unfortunately right now it just says “No On/Off Code Available” when trying to select the crystal chamber off behavior.
Thanks for the awesome new update!

1 Like

Ah, those styles are “old”, just choose any other Off Style and change the Off Color to “Kyber Select”, this will synch the off effect to the selection. The “companions” were a test but they were too limited, I’ll get them removed from the dropdowns with the next update.

1 Like

Perfect, thanks!

1 Like

I have updated to allow this to be edited in the Previewer, the style uses “Emitter Size” so in Enhancements screen you’ll just need to scroll down to the “Base Flare / Emitter Effect” section and adjust Emitter Size slider. You’ll need to refresh the page for the update.

2 Likes

How about a different sound font folder for each color selection? too much?

1 Like

That’s just changing presets, we already have that, you can even use the dial to do it on my prop :wink:.

1 Like

I really like Kyber Select as a preset. It’s a great interactive “game”. It wouid be fun to hand the saber to someone and they can select a color and the sound font would be based on the color they selected. :smile:

1 Like

So just add an “Off” emitter effect to your presets that matches the color of that base style. Then just use the Scroll Preset feature and you’re done.

1 Like

ahhh, got it. Thanks!

1 Like

Kyber select is my new favorite thing. Dunno why just really enjoy it!!

4 Likes

Is there a define to adjust the length of the rotation between kyber selections? I’m finding that users are happy with their color than accidentally rotate just prior to ignition. Could use some literal wiggle room.

1 Like

Unfortunately no, it’s using TwistAngle so it can only ever be # of colors / 360 degrees.

3 Likes