Proffieboard M2

I still dont know why not a usb c. The smallest size receptacles are 8.56mm x 3.21 tall. maybe I am missing something. Anyways I can always make my own custom proffie at this point. AKA most basic proffie. one neo data, stm32, 6 axis, one mosfet and jst 1mm cable might work well like fredrick said. the proffie s2. for sonics. how small can we actually get it? still got to have 2 buttons.

I would also like to move to USB-C, but it worries me a bit. It is bigger, and it is also kind of weird to extend, since there are twenty pins in an USB-C connector. I don’t think there is a hand-solderable USB-C connector.

I should check it out for the Proffieboard SI.

I got a hot air station and a temp controlled hot plate. So as long as I can get them placed I can solder them. the jst could double as a battery connector too theoretically. A parts placing service would be Ideal at this size… but I have done the 1515 neos buy hand without a problem. and I got super shaky hands. aka tremors.

and I havent been following whats the proffie SI?

Sorry, I didn’t mean a hand-solderable SMT compontent, but a usb connector that can be soldered to a wire, sort of like this:

Google Photos

Proffieboard SI is my proposed name for a hypothetical ESP32-based proffieboard, more info here:

OMG a card for the like the LS6? or luke ROTJ or other box. I been thinking about doing one for my parks LS6. I still need to figure out a chassis for it. But Thats more of deciding what needs to go where and what all I want. . I have a button card for my SF eco that I upgraded. with the 1515 neos and 2 switches. this was the first time killed a proffie. I need to repair that one still. But this board is all hand placed solder and components no mask. its 9x 22mm. and I have hand tremors I might add.

This card works with many graflex-style control boxes:
https://fredrik.hubbe.net/lightsaber/k4/control.html

Oh that will be nice… I also have the blinky parks box so I will need to make a second dairy board for that with lights.

I tecently purchased a Quin LED dig-quad board (w/ESP32) to run some pixel strips used for holiday lighting. It came with WLED loaded on it. It was easy enough to setup and use. Unfortunately im not up to speed really on the ESP32 and what further capability it has. Quin’s youtube site is 'intermitant tech" (i believe).
The Quin ESP32 setup has 4 LED output, a
a mico usb, an onboard wifi antenna and an optional ethernet

btw is the M2 DOA? can we get boards made at least for the SD card holders I would like to get a sonic up and running.

I saw these…

It’s on hold for now.
Turns out that the oshpark via-in-pad is not flat enough, and I’m not sure where to find better ones yet.

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought both pcbway can do it with the HDI and PCB Manufacturing & Assembly Capabilities - JLCPCB

They both list a smaller BGA capabilities than what is needed unless I am missing something. And JLC may even be able to build the board. I am exhausted… So I might have missed something

Could you not sand/polish the pcb until it does. I am assume the pcb has too much variant of the pads /mask/etc??? Like I said tired. and may not be understanding the issue.

no, its a hole in the pcb…

I mean the flat enough… Flat? sorry Thats what I am confused on. Wouldnt the solder act as a bridge… and it appears the pcb way advanced pcb only does the blind vias. And so far the only one I have seen that can do blind and buried is pcbway with the advance pcb would work.

https://www.pcbway.com/advanced-pcb-capabilities.html

When you got a few mins see what the cost is. they also have assembly service too. never mind I just did.

If you are doing 50 its like $6 per board 100 is like $3… so its hard to prototype. I wonder if a super min board it can be doable without blind vias.

The M2 board has no blind vias, but it does have vias-in-pad, You need one or the other to be able to escape a 0.4mm pitch BGA. (In fact, with via-in-pad, not all pads can escape, but that’s ok.)

oshpark says this about via-in-pad:

Via Tenting	Yes (filled hole and flat surface not guaranteed)

What that means what it looks like depends on who made the board.
In my case, the holes were not filled. Since the pad is tiny (meant for a BGA) the hole is almost the size of the pad, and it will suck up the solder, most likely resulting in that pad not being connected to the bga chip.

Anyways, PCBway can probably do it, but it’s kind of expensive in small quantities unfortunately.

I will hopefully get back to the M2 board at some point, but I will not make any promises.

Can you post up… The schematic and bom for any alt parts and files to get the project made. or I can email you for them if want to keep it not public. I am dead serious about making a few.

and jlcpcb.com you can get your vias capped. While not as cheap as osh if you are doing 50 to 100 boards its going to be about $1 per board. if you are doing 5 to 10 like $23 total… so not bad at all. Its at least looking at.

also cant you hit up those via pads with some solder before you solder components on there.

1 Like

No, for various reasons I don’t post my designs until they are finished.
I’ll try pricing it out jlcpcb and pcbway later today to see what I get.

Btw what about switching to an eMMC instead of the SD Nand which seems hard to get and questionable? eMMC are more robust than a SD card too. I believe a number of them work with the SD protocol.

And because I am impatient… I am making a proffie slim… to put in my A180 blaster build… I really do need a thinner profflie… I also need an M2 for a sonic. But I am trying to keep as much function as I can… goal is keep the booster, lcd, and BT 13/14mm X 30… Its only 2 fets for less power hungry builds… Ie Slim… its proffie but on a diet. :yum:

I might have to swap sd slot for a smaller one.

You could always solder an SD card directly to the board. :slight_smile:
SD cards are made of the same stuff as SMD chips in most cases, so it should work.

I’m not sure if SPI is part of the eMMC standard though.
The M2 uses non-standard chip which is basically an SD in a different package.