Proffieboard M2

I think USB pads are too much work.
I have thought about replacing the USB connector with another, smaller connector though. This would make it easier to put the USB connector elsewhere, but testing and programming would still be super easy as long as you have the right dongle.

2 Likes

Ooo, I love that idea. I’m dealing with same thing on a teensy, the USB is in an awkward place when installed, but no USB would make testing hard. A small connector would be perfect.

Like a USB mini b port? The 4 pin not 5

mini-b is still bigger than micro-b, but no, I was thinking a 4-pin JST SH 1.0 or similar.
Proffieboards don’t use the “sense” pin in the micro-b connector, so it’s not needed, but we still need the other four: GND, D+, D- and 5V.

1 Like

One potential issue is that 4-pin JST SH 1.0 is exactly the same as the QWIIC connector, which could be confusing.

Behold the small smalliness of smallington:

It is small!

14 Likes

Now we need parts… =p

1 Like

What I’m excited for is the mini-sabers people are bound to make with these. Imagine someone whips out a 1/2 scale lightsaber mid-battle.

Also, with the lack of SD card, would you access the files via micro-usb cable?

Yes. It might be a bit slow, but that would be the only way.

1 Like

Good news!
The CPU for this thing is in stock at digi-key, and the price is fairly reasonable too!

Maybe I can actually make some prototypes soon. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Any chance of retrofitting battery charging through the USB? It’s actually the only real thing that makes me want the P3.

No, that takes too much space for the M2.

2 Likes

I want one of these so bad for blasters in general, especially a project that’s been shelved, and a lower-cost and simplified proffieboard is just the thing I need.

I hope it will be lower cost, but the BGA components tends to add assembly cost.
Also, the builtin SD card costs a few dollars.
We’ll see what the cost actually comes out to. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

This looks like it could be a great option to power the Disney Legacy or Hasbro Elite sabers. Does it support the type of blades they use? If it does, those guys should definitely look into this one. :upside_down_face::upside_down_face::upside_down_face:

It does not support 6-segment string blades, because it only has 3 fets.
It should support savi workshop blades though.

So this board would run on the same type of programming as the full size proffieboards? Say I took a font I had on one of my proffie boards and put it on this board, would it work the same? smoothswing, clash, ect?

Yes, it’s using the same CPU, so most things work the same.

1 Like

if you need a tester, I will buy from you. I want to put it in a sonic and blaster

1 Like

Ooh, I like this! 3 FETs wouldn’t be enough for my current project, but I could see this being very useful in a few future projects. Would be great for having a narrower ovoid handle that’s closer to a regular sword handle, or if there’s something like a long blade tang taking up space in the middle of the chassis.
Also gives room for thicker walls for those of us whose material options are a bit limited.