Proffie FlashBack

Ok, so this is the Proffie Flashback:

It’s sized to fit inside a graflex-style clamp, and provide an USB port on one end, and a switch on the other end. The switch can only handle 250mA, but a pFET is used to increase that to ~2A, which is enough for a Proffieboard.
In addition, the Proffie FlashBack has two buttons on top which converts the clamp card into a button.

A new addition is the bumps on the bottom, which are meant to be gently filed down until the board fits snugly. There is also a bump on the top which is meant to help the clamp card spring back. (Ignore the tiny bumps, they are just manufacturing leftovers.)

Anyways, I’d like to verify that these will fit in actual hilts out there. If you’re working on a hilt with a graflex style clamp and is interested in a free FlashBack, write a comment below.

1 Like

I recently got a graflex 2.0 new in box from a friend, no doubt long buried in a closet. I’d be interested. Do you need a full install, or just a quick wire- up of the board to see how it sits? I’m willing to try both PTFE and silicone.

I am working on builds with control boxes, but they are not Graflex-style clamps… but I’d still like to try this out. One is the right width but a little shorter (ronin), one is a little shorter and a little narrower (kanan jarus), and one is just way too small (depa). Can you share the dimensions? I also have a few re-work projects for the future (e.g. luke v1, obi 3.5)… so I am planning to order ~5 of the Flashback’s.

I’m actually already doing some testing and design work that I am using a graflex clamp for, so I have one handy. Not an actual install, but for testing something my setup would likely work well.

A quick wire-up is sufficient.

1 Like

What do you mean? Can you share links or pictures?

It’s 51mm long (switch sticks out ~1mm on one side)
10.5-11.8mm tall, depending on how much the bumps are filed.
It’s 3.6mm thick (at the USB port)

Then I’d appreciate the chance to try one out :slight_smile:

I’m in the UK which might be a pain for sending the board over, but I have some 89 Graflexes waiting to be built. I’d be happy to put one together as a guinea pig with this board if it helps.
:slight_smile:

That control box would need a completely different kind of thing I think.
The FlexBack is meant to sit perpendicular to the clamp card, like this:

(This one is a little crooked, but it doesn’t matter, because I don’t use the buttons.)

Too long for any of my builds. It is even too long for my Obi 3.5 rebuild.
I really hoped it would fit in the Ronin with minor modifications–A combination USB, kill switch, and buttons… it was a dream solution.

`

The FlexBack is meant to sit perpendicular to the clamp card

`

I was envisioning the card parallel with the buttons on the side–much like the buttons on the Luke Hero/V1 design. But even with 3d printed extensions to the control box, the ito wrap would be in the way.

Ok, I’ve sent out a few of these for beta testing, so I should probably write up some instructions as well.

• First step, file down any protrusions to make it smooth all around.
  • Step two, make it fit by filing down four bottom bumps until it fits nicely. The top bump should be touching the back of the clamp card. (Measure how much you filed down, I want to know.)
  • To make the buttons work, you’ll need your clamp card to be a little fatter around the middle. This means either filing down the sides a bit, or using some tape or hot glue to build it up a little. The idea is that the clamp will only hold the middle third (or less) of the clamp card, and the end parts can move relatively freely so that you can use it to press the buttons.
  • The board have three different functions: two buttons, USB and on-off-switch. Each function cane used or not used as desired. Each connection below will be tagged USB/BUTTON/SWITCH to show which connections are required for each function.
  • connect GND to GND or BATT- on the board. (USB, BUTTON, SWITCH)
  • connect D- to D- on the board/usb extender (USB)
  • connect D+ to D+ on the board/usb extender (USB)
  • connect VBUS to VBUS on the board/usb extender (USB)
  • connect BT2 to Button2 on the board (BUTTON)
  • connect BT1 to Button1 on the board (BUTTON)
  • connect BRD+ to BATT+ on the board (SWITCH)
  • connect BATT+ to + on the battery (SWITCH)
2 Likes