PB V3.7 beta test thread

I am loving the fact that as the saber sits here on the bench with the USB in it for uploads and tests, that the battery is being charged the whole time!

1 Like

Hopefully some others can try this and confirm/deny itā€™s just me.
OS6.x GitHub master, PB3.7, bone dry defaults.
Ok, maybe moot in theory because the default_proffieboard_config is really a template in general to be edited and customized, however, I am getting bad audio issuesā€¦stumbling playback of in/out wavs, crackling, etcā€¦ but not when I use a custom config, only when flashing the default.
Could this be due to a totally different blades setup on the install vs what the default file has in some way? Seems unlikely in that I can not see how RgueCmdr would play any differently if called from one config file versus another, but hereā€™s what I get:

1 Like

Thatā€™s a pretty weird one.
Do you see anything interesting in the serial monitor when this happens?
Like maybe lots of clashes? Or maybe audio underflows?

One thought is that a difference in clash sensitivity could be causing this.

Another thought is that this might be a race-condition, and using a simple config file with simple blades might be triggering this race condition in ways that your normal config doesnā€™t.

Finally, itā€™s possible that something is freezing up and making things slow.
If that is the case, we may be able to figure out what is causing it by looking at the output of the ā€œtopā€ command.

If none of these helps, weā€™re going to have to try to narrow down the problem by removing one thing at a time from your config file until we get back to the default config file.

Nothing out of the ordinary at all in serial monitor. I will start down this list.
Iā€™ll also try to confirm that this seems be a 3.7 board specific thing by loading the default config on another PBv2.2 saber.
Weird that the different hardware could be it?

I think it might have something to do with SDIO being so much faster to read the sounds, but obviously Iā€™m not sure.

OK. Adjusting clash thresholds both ways in each changed nothing.
HOWEVER. I replaced all my presets with the ones from the default config (adding a 2nd pair of styles to each preset as I have 4 blades), and the problem has followedā€¦RgueCmdr sounds terrible! (Thatā€™s good!)
soā€¦Does that mean some static or dynamic detection coding should maybe be put in place? Or is it maybe easier to just upgrade the default config and online configurator generated blade styles for a 3.7 board to something more like the Layers Example style from the Style Editor or something?

If I had an opinion, the latter is my vote just due to the direction that typical styles seem to have taken. I personally find the majority of users more accustomed to a fully visible, editable, argument based style versus the original macro/shortcut/templated based styles. Those, while totally cool and nicely packaged and convenient, might actually make a transition to using ā€œmodernā€ styles more difficult.
Using the Style Editor and Fett263ā€™s Style Library have become the standard for style format and creation/use.

Putting in modern styles is not a solution, itā€™s just a workaround. But it is helpful to narrow down the actual problem so that I can fix it.

New plugin version: v3.2 - fixes a bunch of V3 serial port issues.

1 Like

My board arrived in the mail yesterday, so hopefully Iā€™ll get some time Sunday to put it in my TGS Graflex hilt! Iā€™ll also be utilizing @profezzorn 's clamp helper board for kill switch and remote USB in the clamp, which will be made MUCH easier thanks to to the new remote USB pads. :smiley:

2 Likes

Bluetooth woking.

3 Likes

Hmmm. Seems the plug-in update broke something about buttons?
On boot, it shows AUX is being held.
The power button registers correctly but doesnā€™t do anything, and just barely breathing near the AUX button with a finger (just the surrounding metal, not the button itself) is sending a gazillion short click events in serial monitor. Iā€™ve never had a touchbutton before, but this certainly looks to be a capacitance thing happening. Using a non-conductive poker does not cause it.
Reverting to plug-in 3.1.0 things are normal with buttons again.
I went back and forth with 3.2.0 and 3.1.0 a couple of times to confirm.

Well thatā€™s weird, because all the changes I made between 3.1 and 3.2 were related to serial ports.

It almost sounds like the button is floating (not pulled up, not pulled down) but Iā€™m not sure why that would be.

A few questions:
If you remove ENABLE_SERIAL, does the problem go away? Or does it happen with the v3.2 plugin even if serial is not enabled?
Does it happen with the default config file too?
Can you post your config file? I can try it on my end and see if I get the same problem.

Actuallyā€¦ I think I found the problemā€¦

Update to variants.cpp seems to have worked.

Ok, I think I fixed it. Try the new v3.3 plugin.

But it doesnā€™t look like 3.3.0 available in the official Arduino Boards Manager version drop down menu
EDIT got it now. Needed to delete package_proffieboard_beta_index.json first

Ok confirmed working on official Arduino Boards Manager installation of 3.3.0.
However, Port does not say (Proffieboard) at the end of the address string.

As in it says
/dev/cu.usbmodem204D318242481
as opposed to usually
/dev/cu.usbmodem204D318242481 (Proffieboard)

That seems like a fairly minor problem, and I donā€™t think Iā€™ve changed anything that would cause that, so maybe itā€™s a temporary problem.

Next Iā€™m going to try to replicate the sound issue you have.

Ok now Iā€™m nervous to turn this thing back on.
I added an accent LED mini pixel strip.
However, I wired the negative to GND, not an LED pad.
As much as I think thatā€™s prob ok, Iā€™m not sure if that caused an issue.
I metered the newly added connections. No beep between any combo of 3.3v, gnd, and data3 (all conveniently in a row).
Turned it on, accent and everything was lit up ok.
But I felt the board was getting warm/hot.
I immediately killed power and USB.
Now hereā€™s the weirdness.
Probing around, I had LED2and3 continuity to like Everything. GND, BATT+, 5v, SDA, SCL. Just beeping on all sorts of other pads.
I opened the emitter to check the back of the PCB, nothing changed there, and all checked out as expected, no shorts.
THEN I went back to 2&3ā€¦and all normal now. They beep to nothing else.

Did I catch the FET in some odd state of half-and-half or something?
I swear it was beeping to batt+ and 5vā€¦does not seem good at all. But now itā€™s not after doing nothing but probing?
I know thereā€™s some sort of signal coming from the multimeter probesā€¦did that close a FET or un-stick it?
Sorry for the run around, Iā€™m just very very hesitant to fire this thing up.

Warm/hot is pretty normal for a V3 board while charging. The charging circuit will generally put out about 360mW. It has a thermal throttle that reduces that if it gets too hot though. Not entirely sure if that is what you are seeing or something else though.