Hi all! It has been a while since I posted anything…and I figured I’d share some of the projects from the last few months.
I decided to build a lightsaber for my brother for Christmas (on Dec 6th, of course), and went with MHS V2 as a base for the hilt.
Here is the internal design:
I’m particularly proud of the kill switch and power/aux switch design. The power and aux switches use a simple flexure to transmit a press through to the tactile switches. The kill switch is mounted sideways and there is a 3D-printed adapter to which a custom-machined brass stand-off connects. The neat thing about this design is that you can slide the chassis in-out of the hilt and simply thread the brass standoff in place afterwards. A simple screw forms the kill switch and you pull it out with your fingernail (sorry nail-biters, you’re out of luck):
And here is the what it is supposed to look like once completed:
The inlays on the side are genuine leather, and I wanted them to be flush with the surface of the metal, which meant milling recesses into the 3-inch extension. Started with a painful machining setup, and even more painful (slow) milling process:
In order to fit the speaker in the hilt it was necessary to bore out the inside of the gear extension. There is nothing more satisfying than a perfect fit:
Here are all the parts completed and ready to assemble:
The stand is made from leopard wood, with a simple oil finish. The uprights are 3D printed, filled, and painted. Threaded rubber feet are screwed into the underside to keep it from sliding around, and I printed a small plate to put a short inscription:
Thanks for taking a look!