Error Compiling

I’ 64 years old so please bare with me. Every time I try to upload my new config file to my proffie soundboard it gives me an error sign saying please set config file like on top. I have it in my ds card folder as well as on top on my skitch. Where else do I need to put the name of my config file at? Where is the arduino file at?

I moved this post to a new thread.
In general, when seeking help, you should always start a new thread.

I think you probably need to edit ProffieOS.ino and set the CONFIG_FILE define to point to where your config file is. There are instructions at the top of ProffieOS.ino for how to do this, and if you are still struggling I suggest trying one of the many youtube videos that shows how to configure a Proffieboard.

If that doesn’t help, please use the “Copy error message” button in arduino, then then hit the reply button here, type three backticks (```) and then press enter. Then use paste (Ctrl-V) to paste the error message into the post. Finish with three backticks on it’s own line.

Ok I was asking where is the proffie os ino so I can do this.

Ok Everywhere I go I get the run around. No clear answers. I’m old and I was not born with this knowledge . I don’t know why I bought this type of sound board anyhow. It’s made for the new generation not old people. I went to collage and don’t treat me like I’m stupid. I’m a human being trying my best to work with this type of board. I need clear cut answers . When I bought this board it was supposed to be already programmed. My board was not. I’m sorry about bothering all of you ;but, I need help. This is what I get when I try to upload.

Arduino: 1.8.19 (Windows 10), Board: "Proffieboard V2, Serial, SDCARD (SPI), 80 MHz, Smallest Code"

ProffieOS:53:2: error: #error Please set CONFIG_FILE as shown above.

53 | #error Please set CONFIG_FILE as shown above.

|  ^~~~~

ProffieOS:57:10: error: #include expects "FILENAME" or <FILENAME>

57 | #include CONFIG_FILE

|          ^~~~~~~~~~~

ProffieOS:240:10: fatal error: common/common.h: No such file or directory

240 | #include "common/common.h"

|          ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

compilation terminated.

exit status 1

#error Please set CON
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

I’ll be happy to help if I can.

So your error message occurs because you need to properly set the config file to be used.
If I had to guess, it might be as simple as removing the 2 slashes at the front end of the line where you set #define CONFIG_FILE.

If you look just above that part, there’s a box of text explaining this. 2 slashes at the front of a line indicates to the compiler that the rest of what follows on that line is a comment only and should be ignored.
So, if your line looks something like this:

// #define CONFIG_FILE "config/YOUR_CONFIG_FILE_NAME_HERE.h"

then it is being ignored. Simply make it just

#define CONFIG_FILE "config/YOUR_CONFIG_FILE_NAME_HERE.h"

Clear cut answer ?

Secondly, you said

The way programming the board works is as follows:
A folder containing the ProffieOS system goes on your computer, and somewhere easy to work with like your Desktop. This is what you downloaded from here (assuming you did download it and that’s how you have ProffieOS.ino file open in Arduino):
https://fredrik.hubbe.net/lightsaber/proffieos.html

This folder is named ProffieOS
Inside there is a file named ProffieOS.ino (the aforementioned file that you open in Arduino)
Also, there are many other files and folders, but of note is the folder named config.
Inside the config folder is where the Arduino is going to look for YOUR config file.
That is the location you are specifying with the #define CONFIG_FILE...... line mentioned above.

Your SD card is only used by the board after it is programmed, up and running, and it just holds your sound fonts (and save files). That’s it.
However, as a method of convenience, sellers typically (and hopefully because they should) provide a copy of the config file that the board was programmed with by storing it on the SD card for you.
It is not USED from there, it is simply stored and transported to you on the SD card as any external USB drive or thumbdrive would hold files.
You need to copy the config from the SD card into the ProffieOS/config folder for it to be compiled when programming with Arduino.

Please feel free to ask for any clarification and/or ask any question you have additionally so we can get you sorted out.
With a few times of uploading under your belt, you will see it is not a difficult process whatsoever, and takes less than 3 minutes to program updates to the board.

1 Like

ProffieOS.ino is in the ProffieOS directory, which will be wherever you unzipped ProffieOS after you download it. When you ProffieOS in Arduino, ProffieOS.ino is also the file that is generally displayed in the top half of the window.

I see you have this error though:

If ProffieOS.ino can’t find common/common.h, then something is a bit off with your unzipped files. The most common cause for this is that people rename the ProffieOS directory to something else, and then when they open ProffieOS.ino in Arduino it says “ProffieOS.ino should be in a directory called ProffieOS, would you like me to move it for you?”. If you answer yes to that question, then Arduino will create a folder called ProffieOS and move ProffieOS.ino into it. However, it will not move any of the other files, and then it can’t find those files anymore. Unless you have a bunch of changes in your ProffiOS directory, it might be best to go back to the zip file and unzip it again.

PS: I’m 52.

@DJ424 First of all welcome to Proffie and the group(s). There’s no need to apologize as it’s completely understandable while learning you might get hung up a little, we all do, and just remember there’s other “analog-native” not “digital-native” members here between their late 40’s and 60’s, myself included. We all started somewhere and @profezzorn @NoSloppy @Fett263 and many others will assist when needed. All you gotta do is ask.

BIG NOTE HERE: Anytime the seller includes copies of the configs and a version of the Proffie OS be aware it may slightly differ from what the standardized and most current OS is. You’ll want to copy all that SD Card content over and put it in a safe place on your computer. Better yet, make a second copy and keep the first as your “Proffie Backup” in case you ever need to go back and doublecheck your work. Personally I NEVER OPERATE any OS from within the SD Card itself. There’s just too much a chance of something going weird because when you run Arduino to upload the code if your SD Card is still connected it may disconnect. Alway operate the loading of the new file onto the ProffieBoard from your computer.

*I always suggest doing a remote-in training session or just watch the videos that are available. It’s all discussed there and you can easily pause the lesson at any time. I’m good with electronics and when I took up the offer to have someone “show me” it all made a lot more sense. Don’t let frustration get the best of you. That’s the pathway to [insert Yoda’s speech to Luke here].

Again, welcome to the hobby and group, MTFBWY, and you’re in for some real fun. :smiley:

This is what I’m getting sir.

Arduino: 1.8.19 (Windows Store 1.8.57.0) (Windows 10), Board: "Proffieboard V2, Serial, SDCARD (SPI), 80 MHz, Smallest Code"

ProffieOS:57:10: error: #include expects "FILENAME" or <FILENAME>

57 | #include CONFIG_FILE

|          ^~~~~~~~~~~

ProffieOS:240:10: fatal error: common/common.h: No such file or directory

240 | #include "common/common.h"

|          ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

compilation terminated.

exit status 1

#include expects "FILENAME" or <FILENAME>

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

This would indicate that your CONFIG_FILE define doesn’t start and end with ". What did you set it to?

One thing to look out for is that if you use wordpad, or some other “smart” editor to edit ProffieOS.ino, it will use “smartquotes”, which angled left and right and are not the same as regular double quotes.

I wrote down a few questions .
1- I may be doing wrong ;but, I’m copying my configs on note pad and I’m copying a file from the config file in proffie os then deleting the stuff inside the copy folder then renaming the folder and dropping the folder into the config file in proffie os. This may be a no no.
2- I have down loaded Tera copy from the windows store for my config copying because you told me that note pad messes up.
3. If this is wrong please correct me for I don’t have a clue.

This description is weird, but I think what you’re doing is fine.
Let me paraphrase and see if I understood what you’re doing…

1. you are making a copy of one of the config files in the “config” directory.
  2. You are opening the copied file in notepad, then removing all the contents, and replacing it with the content you want. (Presumable using cut-and-paste from from another file.)
  3. You are then renaming the copied file to it’s final name and dropping it back in the “config” folder.

If this is roughly what you are doing, then it should be fine.

wordpad and word definitely messes up.
Notepad used to be fine, but it might not be anymore?
I don’t use windows a lot, so I don’t know what the best text editor is. I have used Notepad++, which seems to work. Others might have better recommendations.

I don’t think any of it is wrong.
There may be easier ways to do stuff, but I think what you’re doing should work.

Sublime Text works good for many users. And it’s free.

3 Likes

Dunno if ProffieConfig would just end up in more conceptual confusion, but if you have a config file maybe it’d help since it’d remove what seems to be the failure point? (Setting up arduino)

For text editor, Sublime Text has a pretty good reputation. It’s my go to after vi (which for obvious reasons isn’t recommended)

Oooh, the dark side you have joined!
(Obviously, emacs is the light side.)

Haha, I was waiting for you to say something :rofl:

I’ve not tried emacs, but I’m aware of the rivarly, lol. Can’t remember why but I was exposed to vi first…

My sysadmin friends says VI is better, because it’s already there first time you log in to a new machine.

My counter is that emacs is always there the second time I log in.

However, which one you were exposed to first seems to be the deciding factor for most people.

1 Like

On openSUSE I noticed when I switched that emacs is actually the default installed, which I find interesting.

But yeah, by then it was too late :laughing:

I like the counterpoint.

Oof. I’ve never used emacs, but I haven’t thought of vi or heard it mentioned since I stopped working on an IBM 3090…

sudo pico just seems to roll off the tip of my fingers.

as he laughs in macOS (also sudo? living on the edge I see)