Crazy idea of the day: Auto-backups

After writing up the How to back up a proffieboard thread, it occured to me that it may be possible to do this completely automatically.

Basically, the idea is to create a backup directory on the SD card and write the contents of the flash memory to a file in that directory. We could also makes copies of all the INI files into that directory as well.

ProffieOS doesn’t know what time it is, so it’s not really possible to make it a timed thing, but it wouldn’t be difficult to make it so that it happens every time you start up the saber after re-programming it.

The idea here is that if you screw something up, you can take the SD card out, browse the backup directory and flash one of those files back to the proffieboard.

In theory it’s also possible to make it so that the board can flash itself from the SD card, but obviously that won’t work if you really screwed up, so I’m not sure how useful that would be.

I for one think that’s a great idea.
another idea would be that when you flash the memory in IDE suite, would it be possible to add the flash program to a file on the computer? might solve the time date thing?
just an idea as I’m a bit out of my depth with this
either way, having a back up is always worth the effort.

1 Like

That should be possible and has the added advantage of not taking up any space on the board itself. Not sure where to actually store the backup, but seems like a relatively simple problem to solve.

In the original proffie OS folder I have other folders that i keep all my other information in, would it be possible to locate the proffie OS folder and have it create a folder in there?
i appreciate that this might not be possible or even time consuming when your trying to flash a new config or OS to the board… I suppose you could tell IDE suite where the folder is located or have a prompt that asks you where you like the file saved?

Saving it in the ProffieOS directory is kind of what I was thinking too.
I’m hoping that I can add an option in arduino->tools for doing backups, and default it to on.
A save dialog is probably harder.

1 Like

This is a great idea. I love it especially as I have multiple iterations of the same config because of the updates made to the OS.

Bumping to keep this really cool feature idea alive!

3 Likes

Yes please. This is a fantastic idea and would be almost universally beneficial.