Crazy idea of the day: A Pogo pin proffieboard

What if we combined the proffieboard and the pogo pin PCB into one board?
Ultimate simplicity or stupid idea?

Size-wise it might be tricky, but it may be possible to fit the Proffieboard M2 components on a pogo pin PCB.

Then the proffieboard would be up by the emitter, and the traditional chassis has pommel access for battery/SD card?

yes?
(Not sure I understand the question.)

Where would soundfonts be stored?

Could you really fit a load of Proffie functionality into a blade pcb? If so, thatā€™s amazing! :smiley:

However since lots of hilts tend to enclose the emitter end, wouldnā€™t access for programming be tricky?

How about a ProffieLite, with reduced functions, no SD card, on board RAM for a limited range of fonts, and data access via a special blade plug. KR used to do magnetic rings around the outside of the blade and emitter PCBs, but they never really caught on I donā€™t think. However you could use that fourth ring as the last connection for USB data with a special blade plug, thus keeping compatability with normal blades. Obviously you would need some kind of coding cleverness so that the central data pin could be blade data with a blade fitted, but one side of USB data for coding. But Im guessing thatā€™s all possible.

I donā€™t know how much regular Proffie functionality could fit into such a small space, but it would free up lots of space at the other end for a nice, big battery.

Heā€™s not talking about a proffieboard fitting into a PCB, heā€™s talking about a proffieboard that has a built-in PCB on the opposite end of the micro USB plug.

On the board, in a sd-card-on-a-chip, same as the M2 board.

I donā€™t know.

I was thinking that Iā€™d just put a usb connector between the pogo pins. :slight_smile:

Isnā€™t that what the M2 is?

Nope. Iā€™m considering putting all the components on the pogo pin PCB.

Probably one thing I would have to do is to have the pogo pins be surface-mounted rather than going through the pcb. That would free up a lot of space on the back of the PCB. The pogo pins would need a lot of support, which means either a 3d-printed thing to hold them in place, or possibly another PCB with actual holes.

I still donā€™t know if there is really enough space or not, and itā€™s also not clear surface-mounting the pogo pins would be strong enough.

Also, Iā€™m not sure if there would be enough space available to have pixels on the PCB. Although, there are some really small pixels available nowadays.

What about a sandwiched board that sits under a pogo PCB?

Well, if I surface-mount the pogo pins and use another PCB with holes in it for support, then that is exactly what I would end up with.

Iā€™m not sure how much room there is for a sandwich in existing hilts though.

Considering you wonā€™t have to worry about a long soundboardā€¦ loads?

Doesnā€™t help for thin-neck sabers though.
But maybe thatā€™s not the target for something like this.

You could always have it extend via wires to the emitter?

1 Like

IMO It seems like this would have wide-range appeal and utility by making a board that could fit in the diameter of a hilt even without pogo pins or anything like that on it, then you wouldnā€™t need to sandwich battery and board or things like that, and it would open up room for larger battery and maybe other things, or simply make tight installs a lot easier.

The Proffieboard M2 is short enough to fit lengthwise in thicker sabers, like graflexesā€¦

Yeah, was kinda thinking that when I typed that out, ā€œif the M2 was able to do it inside a Graflex, doesnā€™t seem that far fetched to do it for more normal ID sabers if it expands outwards to fill the circular shapeā€

Would there be issues with vibration and shock from being so close to the blade?

I still ā€˜floatā€™ my boards in a neat spiral of silcone wires and they can take a beating.

But if you could squeeze a Proffie onto the hilt side pcb, there could be so much battery on the rest of the hilt! Also you could have a lot of control over the placement and angle of the board even without a chassis.

EDIT: my application would be a slick pair of nunchaku. You only get 14ā€ total length in each stick, max.

More vibration from the blade and less from the speaker should make clash detection work better.

:thinking: with all the different style hilts accent lighting and chassis not to mention different size blade PCBā€™s I think itā€™s a bad idea