Asking for help with 1st time setup

alright. i appreciate that. its slowly clicking. so i can add fonts but the styles are optional. alright. i feel like im right there. this is exciting. frustrating but exciting.

What are you trying to do with the config tool? The video at the top of the tool walks through the basic usage, then it’s just a matter of reading the information and making selections.

For styles, just paste the code the library adds to your clipboard in the presets as the video shows.

Fonts are sounds, styles are the visual effects. You need both in a preset.

Fonts are stored on your SD and referenced by name in a preset.

Style Code is code that runs in the OS. You upload via your config through Arduino. The library provides the style code for you, you just paste inyo your config or the config helper tool and then upload to the board.

This page may be helpful, just go step-by-step and read through everything.

ive made blade styles with the editor. got the code. then i turned around did same thing thinking i was making the sd card side (sound) im reading information. trying to follow along. then comes application of what im studying. its like i keep trying to do this as if im making a font for a ghv3. the saber sounds side. is there a editor for that?
if a font doesnt have a style, i can use the style editor to make one? wanting to make a Lore Accurate Luke font, then have a few i can go crazy with editing. with either webusb which im not near looking into, or in hilt menus like the ghv3 {prefferable}. i understand i may not be able to have that type of in saber editing or maybe i can do more than that.

i hope im making sense. i feel like my bad way with words is hindering us :confused:

I’d say take it a step at a time, Proffieboard is its own thing, trying to compare to a different board may actually make it harder to learn.

I would build a config and upload. With Proffieboard you can do all of the customization in your config before you upload. Editing comes into play if/when you want to make adjustments without uploading but it’s not required. If you build your config to be exactly what you want then you may not need to edit at all.

Once you have a config built and uploaded and you’re comfortable with that process then you can move onto Editing methods should you need it.

@fett263 i have the sounds. or fonts. its the styles. i wanna see what i can do with the blade, but i dont have a style for luke. so i keep getting directory not found. i may be wrong but Lukes ROTJ/Mando blade is just on and off. i have no style. and yes it was hard to type that with a straight face. so i use the editor to make the style. somethings not lining up.

Post your config, its best to use pastebin.com.

Font directory not found means your config is expecting a font folder on your SD card that isn’t there.

The styles are code in your config. Any style code can be used with any font, it’s entirely up to you. Your config tells the board which font folder to use with which style code via the preset.

The “font” below is the name of the folder on your SD holding the sounds, this needs to be the exact spelling and case as what is on your SD. The style code StylePtr<>() is the code generated by the library thst creates the visual effects.

{ "font;common", "font/tracks/track.wav",
*/ style code /*
StylePtr<...>(),
"name"
},

For Luke I would recommend my Rotoscope style, there’s several Original Trilogy versions, just have a look in the library.

your going to want to slap me. number of blades means number of blades in the saber correct. as in the editor im just misunderstanding the spaces im trying to use. id use 2 styles if i had darth mauls double blade. one blade one style. or one blade/font/many styles? its kind of like keeping my wife happy. i just exist till i get it right. { no luck so far} lmao

Any LED is considered a “blade”. A neopixel blade, pcb with LEDs, crystal chamber, accent LEDs, button with LED or anything that lights up can be considered a “blade” if it’s wired to an LED pad.

Every “blade” needs it own style in a preset to tell it how and when to light up.

Your BladeConfig set up by your installer will dictate how many “blades” are wired. That’s why it’s necessary to have the original config from your installer.

I think I see the problem.
You must unlearn what you have learned.

I don’t know much about GHv3 specifically, but one thing that all non-opensource boards have in common is that there is a firmware and configuration and which are separate.

The firmware generally programmed into the board, and may or may not be possible to update by the end user. The firmware is generally the same for all users, with only minor differences between versions.

The configuration on the other hand, specifies the differences between different installations, things like number of buttons, or blade colors. For plecter boards, the configuration is stored on the SD card, and is read when the board boots. Not sure if GHv3 works the same way or not, but for this description it doesn’t really matter.

Proffieboards could in theory be programmed to work the same way, but that is not how ProffieOS is designed to work. The configuration file used with ProffieOS is not stored on the SD card, and it’s not read by the firmware on boot.

Instead, the configuration and ProffieOS together make up the source files for the firmware. When you hit “upload” in arduino, the compiler will create a new, custom firmware, based on the configuration file and the ProffieOS sources, and this custom firmware will be written to the flash memory on the board itself. (Not stored on the SD card.)

Now, sound fonts in ProffieOS are basically not really in the configuration file. Instead, the configuration file just contains the name of a directory, and all the files and configuration related to the font lives in that directory on the SD card. There is no editor or tool that helps you put the files on the SD card, since it’s just a matter of copying the files.

Now, “making sound fonts” is generally not something that most saber users do. It means creating the sound files that make up the font, which is a long process which requires some skills to do. Most people simply download free or paid fonts, copies them to the SD card, adds the directory name to the config file, hits upload and calls it a day.

LukeGrandMasterSaber.h (45.5 KB)

i am still getting directory not found. possibly older commands or something like what fett said earlier. ive been at it 12 hours straight. id say imma call it a night but i probly will try one last time then to bed i go.

i have full directory again. i dont have my new menus or controls. i know ive done something to this saber. i didnt spend all day breaking it to factory reset it manually have it? all ive done is make all but the style codes, got it from one of the sample presets, i had the sounds for it. im trying to get the library rotoscopes to work. trying the editor to make a style code sends me back to directory not found… how can i take a saber font i like and either change its style, or new folder, copy font to it make a style for that new font folder? am i making sense? or am i bringing everyone into my insanity too? :frowning:

I have no idea what this means.

please be more specific.

Sounds like you’ve done lots.

Factory reset is not a thing. Every time you upload, you overwrite the firmware on the saber. The only way to go back is to upload with the same config as was originally used.

You made new styles? How, Some of the presets obviously don’t have new styles, so maybe tell us which ones you changed?

… and what happens? Why doesn’t it work?

I assume that this is the saber saying “font directory not found”, right?
What directories do you actually have on the SD card?

If you have a config file that works, you just open it up an editor, remove the style you don’t like, paste the style you want and upload – done.

Just unzip the font, figure out which subdirectory is for ProffieOS (many fonts come with one plecter directory and one ProffieOS directory, but not all) copy that directory to the SD card. Name it something simple that only has a-z and 0-9 in it, preferably only 8 characters, since that is slightly more efficient on a FAT32 file system. Then stick the name of that directory in your config file.
One of your font directories is named (Heavy) it might work, but I would recommend renaming it to just Heavy.

Also, since you are using the fett263 prop, and you have ENABLE_ALL_EDIT_OPTIONS you need a voice pack. That means going here:
Free prop sounds and download one of the voice packs, unzip it and copy it into a folder called common on the sd card. Then you’ll need to edit all your presets to add common to the font path. This means appending ;common to all the font strings, so "(Heavy)" becomes (Heavy);common", "Ani-Mation" becomes "Ani-Mation;common" etc.

Yes, but I wish you would describe what’s you did and what happened instead of what you are trying to do.

No, we have our blast shields down, we’re fine.

GrandMasterLuke1.h (54.2 KB)
i am taking a font decimate, and i am using style editor to try to make the font match to the ghostbusters beam. im just copying and pasting. im leaving this hear also so i know where i ended for the night, i wont remember in the morning. thank you both again.

Line 296 is missing a comma. You need a comma separating each preset.

{ "FALLENORDERCALBUNDLE;common", "tracks/uranus.wav",//23   ---2022.8.11Ìí¼Ó  ±ùÀ¶
	 StylePtr<InOutHelper<EASYBLADE(OnSpark<DeepSkyBlue>, WHITE), 300, 800> >()
 }

should be

{ "FALLENORDERCALBUNDLE;common", "tracks/uranus.wav",//23   ---2022.8.11Ìí¼Ó  ±ùÀ¶
	 StylePtr<InOutHelper<EASYBLADE(OnSpark<DeepSkyBlue>, WHITE), 300, 800> >()
 },

You’re also getting some odd characters in your config, not sure if it’s corruption or an issue from your Text Editor, if you’re not using Sublime Text as recommended.

//23   ---2022.8.11Ìí¼Ó  ±ùÀ¶

In my Updating Instruction page I recommend using Sublime Text in Step 1, if you haven’t already done so I HIGHLY recommend reading this page and going step-by-step (including the tools it recommends).

Also, all of the existing presets are older syntax so they will not be editable in Edit Mode, if you’re trying to set up Edit Mode you will want to replace those styles with styles generated by the library so they can actually be edited.

i am taking a font decimate, and i am using style editor to try to make the font match to the ghostbusters beam. im just copying and pasting. im leaving this hear also so i know where i ended for the night, i wont remember in the morning. thank you both again. i think i am making a preset. but i just want font and style to work. heres error code:
In file included from C:\Users\Daddy\OneDrive\Desktop\Proffie Lightsaber\ProffieOS-v7.12_Fett263\ProffieOS-v7.12\ProffieOS\ProffieOS.ino:626:
C:\Users\Daddy\OneDrive\Desktop\Proffie Lightsaber\ProffieOS-v7.12_Fett263\ProffieOS-v7.12\ProffieOS\config\GrandMasterLuke1.h:298:1: error: expected ‘}’ before ‘{’ token
298 | { “Decimate;common”, “BattleOfHeros”,
| ^
In file included from C:\Users\Daddy\OneDrive\Desktop\Proffie Lightsaber\ProffieOS-v7.12_Fett263\ProffieOS-v7.12\ProffieOS\ProffieOS.ino:626:
C:\Users\Daddy\OneDrive\Desktop\Proffie Lightsaber\ProffieOS-v7.12_Fett263\ProffieOS-v7.12\ProffieOS\config\GrandMasterLuke1.h:43:20: note: to match this ‘{’
43 | Preset presets[] = { //2022.7.25Ôö¼ÓΪ23Ì×ÒôЧ
| ^
C:\Users\Daddy\OneDrive\Desktop\Proffie Lightsaber\ProffieOS-v7.12_Fett263\ProffieOS-v7.12\ProffieOS\config\GrandMasterLuke1.h:298:1: error: expected ‘,’ or ‘;’ before ‘{’ token
298 | { “Decimate;common”, “BattleOfHeros”,
| ^
C:\Users\Daddy\OneDrive\Desktop\Proffie Lightsaber\ProffieOS-v7.12_Fett263\ProffieOS-v7.12\ProffieOS\config\GrandMasterLuke1.h:332:2: error: expected unqualified-id before ‘,’ token
332 | },
| ^
C:\Users\Daddy\OneDrive\Desktop\Proffie Lightsaber\ProffieOS-v7.12_Fett263\ProffieOS-v7.12\ProffieOS\config\GrandMasterLuke1.h:334:1: error: expected unqualified-id before ‘}’ token
334 | };
| ^
C:\Users\Daddy\OneDrive\Desktop\Proffie Lightsaber\ProffieOS-v7.12_Fett263\ProffieOS-v7.12\ProffieOS\config\GrandMasterLuke1.h:334:1: error: expected declaration before ‘}’ token

exit status 1
)

Compilation error: expected ‘}’ before ‘{’ token

GrandMasterLuke1.h (54.2 KB
This is what i have currently. I am attempting to update the presets. I see where i messed up.

I am aware that prohibits edit mode with old syntax. I am doing something wrong with the style editor. I know what to do now, its just getting the rest of my brain to say got it. I have to break trying to approach this as another board. I know not to but i do anyways. Im getting in my way. Okay

You’re running into syntax issues with commas and brackets. This is the exact reason I built the config tool.

Let’s try this, you have your BladeConfig in this file so I suggest using my tool. It does all of syntax and heavy lifting for you.

First, watch the video at the top, then read through the instructions below BladeConfig input.

Then input your BladeConfig info and set up the new preset you want (don’t worry about others for now).

Then Generate Full Config and save to the ProffieOS/config/ directory and set it up as instructed and upload.

If you haven’t already be sure you read this page in it’s entirety.

after a 2 day break dr visit for a injury and med adjustment, i started 3 hrs ago. reread my notes on laptop, the thread here. and i will be honest. its a wonder i didnt mess the proffie up. ive stripped all but 8 fonts. character fonts. making headway with the editor. do i have to specify a track, or can i leave the track line set as is and it play random tracks? just want to make sure im understanding right.
i know the answer is in the video but i believe i have messed up my sensitivity settings. force push activates left and right. i dont duel just battle mode choreography. would u have any suggestions for a rough number to set those to? if not i know ill eventually figure it out.

i believe i have a sd card issue. im beggining to have files labled like USBC Σù . appear on the sd card. should just replace that? i cant delete those. nor have i encountered something like this before. i did mess something up sigh lol

so sd cards are notoriously fragile. my suggestion is if you don’t have a replacement on hand format the sd card (I hope you backed up the contents earlier) and then move the files onto it again. see if that works, if you are seeing the same issue then I would consider upgrading. if You search SD CARDs there is a topic authored by @NoSloppy that has a whole range of sd cards on it pick one of those and enjoy!.