Arduino-Proffieboard Plugin v3.6 beta

I’m on OS5.9. I am using a modified button prop file, which I modified directly from @Fett263’s. There was not an issue like this when I compiled using the previous version 1.0.0 of the plugin. Then I realized I maybe ought to update and jumped straight to 3.6.0. I never noticed that mismatched #endif before, but I went back to Fett’s button prop file that comes with OS5.9, and indeed I didn’t find an opening #if in it. But it’s still weird. Everything compiles without additional errors after removing the trailing #endif. I haven’t tested it yet, but I will try to today.

Well, the sketch compiles, but I can’t upload it. It shows me the same warnings as above, and then counts down to a FAIL like this:

Sketch uses 169808 bytes (64%) of program storage space. Maximum is 262144 bytes.
FAIL

It won’t upload even the default_proffieboard_config.h. Used 3 different cables that I know to be good. Tried using the BOOT and RESET buttons: no luck. What might be the problem here, and can it be upgrading to thew new plugin version?

There shouldn’t be any issues on my prop in OS5.9 or OS6. Try an unmodified version, if it still gives an error post your config, perhaps you’re missing an #ifdef in your config.

Hmmm, you’re right, your file compiles without problems. While trying to port over all the new features in OS 5.9 to my file from OS 4.7, I neglected to delete an extra #endif in the middle, and that screwed it all up. That’s what happens when you check over code in a language you don’t speak at 1AM. :sweat_smile: Thanks for checking and letting me know this was on my end. :slight_smile:

EDIT: Still can’t upload the sketch though, not even the default one which should work. The board works as normal with the default config on it and the default SD card.

Are you selecting the Port?

Hmmm, no. Which port should I have? I see 3, and 2 of those are for my Bluetooth headphones, for some reason. The third one listed under Serial ports is /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port. Is that the one?

Is this a new thing? I don’t remember having to select a port, and the instructions don’t say anything about it either.

If you don’t see your Proffieboard as one of the Ports maybe your drivers need fixing, check out this video

Alright, I’m a bit of an idiot. I already unplugged the board when I was looking at the ports; of course it wasn’t showing up. Plugged it back in, selected the port and uploaded no problem. Thanks a bunch for your patient help! :slight_smile:

1 Like

You’re welcome, glad you got it sorted.

Am I missing anything? After putting in the plugin and selecting the right board, I get the following error messages:

Arduino: 1.8.16 (Windows 10), Board: "Proffieboard V2, Serial + Mass Storage + WebUSB, SDCARD (SPI), 80 MHz, Smallest Code"

In file included from c:\users\visitor.desktop-31bsee4\appdata\local\arduino15\packages\proffieboard_experimental\tools\arm-none-eabi-gcc\9-2020-q2-update\arm-none-eabi\include\c++\9.3.1\stdlib.h:36,

from C:\Users\Visitor.DESKTOP-31BSEE4\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\proffieboard_experimental\hardware\stm32l4\3.6.0\cores\stm32l4/Arduino.h:25,

from C:\Users\Visitor.DESKTOP-31BSEE4\Desktop\ProffieOS\ProffieOS.ino:150:

c:\users\visitor.desktop-31bsee4\appdata\local\arduino15\packages\proffieboard_experimental\tools\arm-none-eabi-gcc\9-2020-q2-update\arm-none-eabi\include\c++\9.3.1\cstdlib:41:10: fatal error: bits/c++config.h: No such file or directory

41 | #include <bits/c++config.h>

|          ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

compilation terminated.

exit status 1

Error compiling for board Proffieboard V2.

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

This looks to me like the arduino-proffieboard plugin wasn’t installed properly.
Try uninstalling it and then re-install it.

1 Like

@ANNiko I just got this same error. I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled, and still the same error.

packages\proffieboard_experimental\

Are you still using the beta URL for Additional Board Manager URLs in Arduino preferences?
https://profezzorn.github.io/arduino-proffieboard/package_proffieboard_index.json

That shouldn’t matter really, but I would suggest trying a cleaner install regardless.
Uninstall the Proffieboard plugin in Tools>Board>Boards Manager.
Open the Arduino preferences window, use the URL above, then while you’re in there, click the link that points to your Arduino15/preferences.txt.

Go inside the packages folder there and delete anything proffie.
Quit and restart Arduino, then install the Proffieboard plugin 3.6.0

I just did a test install on Windows 10 with no problems.
Not sure if you guys are doing something wrong, or if there is something weird going on. First of all: re-installing sometimes doesn’t help because Arduino has a cache of downloaded files. You may need to delete those. To do so, go to Arduino → File → Preferences and click on preferences.txt near the bottom.

In that directory, delete the “cache” directory, then do the re-install again and see if that helps.

If that’s not the problem, then you guys might be doing something wrong/different from what I’m doing. Like, what instructions are you guys following?

Hold on. When you say install, do you mean simply putting in the URL as an Additional Boards Manager? If not, then I apparently haven’t installed it at all. Thanks, by the way!

alright, looks like I have installed it correctly. I have reinstalled and tried everything, but it still won’t compile. I don’t know.

That’s what error messages are for. If you can’t figure it out, post in a different thread for help. We love troubleshooting :slight_smile:

1. what instructions are you following?
  2. what error do you get?
  3. what does your config file look like?

I’ve downloaded the latest 1.8.19 version of the Arduino IDE, made it portable by adding the portable directory, and installed the proffie board manager using the URL @NoSloppy gave a few posts above. The error still exists and is:

Arduino: 1.8.19 (Windows 10), Board: "Proffieboard V2, Serial, SDCARD (SPI), 80 MHz, Smallest Code"

In file included from c:\users\daniel\documents\arduinoide\arduino-1.8.19 - proffieos 6.5\portable\packages\proffieboard\tools\arm-none-eabi-gcc\9-2020-q2-update\arm-none-eabi\include\c++\9.3.1\stdlib.h:36,

from C:\Users\Daniel\Documents\ArduinoIDE\arduino-1.8.19 - ProffieOS 6.5\portable\packages\proffieboard\hardware\stm32l4\3.6.0\cores\stm32l4/Arduino.h:25,

from C:\Users\Daniel\Documents\Arduino\ProffieOS\ProffieOS.ino:150:

c:\users\daniel\documents\arduinoide\arduino-1.8.19 - proffieos 6.5\portable\packages\proffieboard\tools\arm-none-eabi-gcc\9-2020-q2-update\arm-none-eabi\include\c++\9.3.1\cstdlib:41:10: fatal error: bits/c++config.h: No such file or directory

41 | #include <bits/c++config.h>

|          ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

compilation terminated.

exit status 1

Error compiling for board Proffieboard V2.

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

Looking into this however, the file it wants to use is actually not in bits/, but in arm-none-eabi/bits/. Perhaps a bit of a reorganization of the library code?