3D printer - What have you got?

Yep I downloaded it last night after a quick google and watching his vid on YouTube.
I’ll try it out later tonight if I get a chance.
Again thanx for the help and advice. Lots to learn and play with😁

2 Likes

I run Siraya tech BLU and tenacious, you can mix them 80 BLU 20 Tenacious for a VERY durable. non brittle part. I tap threads into blu and they hold fine

2 Likes

@unease i had a look at these and will add them to my list to try out. thanx.
the new V2 clear looks good.

@NoSloppy just tried printing at 50 degrees with supports but the part cam away from the supports.
i’ve added some more support in the area it failed so fingers crossed this one prints ok.

Try these guidelines for supports

Light:

--Diameter 1.50mm

--Tip Diameter 0.20mm

--Tip Length 3.50mm

-Medium:

--Diameter 2.00mm

--Tip Diameter 0.40mm

--Tip Length 3.50mm

-Heavy:

--Diameter 3.00mm

--Tip Diameter 1.00mm

--Tip Length 3.50mm

Turn Support Density to Low, and run autosupports with medium first.

These work great at 60mm/min lift speed

I generally Generate Auto Supports, then edit them. Remove wonky ones, add a few where there’s an overhang that looks likr too far a stretch on it’s own etc… It’s small but a little learning curve for sure.
I had like 2 fails my first week and none since .

1 Like

Thanx for the settings, mine are almost identical but will try the out.
As mentioned above, the first attempt failed.
But I manually adjusted the second attempt and was greeted with this this morning.

2 Likes

well I’ve been getting better with the resin printer and so far have not had any more failed prints and the quality is much better thanx to @NoSloppy for his help and tips.

next on the list will be a washing / curing station to complete the set up :+1:

now I’ve just got to convince the wife that we need to move so i can have a study / garage to put all my stuff in :grin:

3 Likes

So I’ve had a good bit of time and practice with the phrozen water washable resin.
In all honesty I’d give it 3.5 - 4 out of 5 stars.

Good points… prints fast (25 sec base layer / 1 sec normal layer)
good level of detail even on really small details
Smell is almost not there.

Bad points… when cured seems to be a bit too flexible (maybe because I’m curing it in the sun)
water washable is ok but not great. (Still leaves residue in intricate areas and holes, even when brushed)

So I’m on the fence with this really.
It kind of does what it says on the bottle in that you can wash it with water but I found it works much better when you mix IPA and water at 50/50.
Everything else is as advertised.

Probably a reasonable choice if your printing figures and want to reduce the chemicals you want to use.

I cure my prints in a large glass jar full of water.
This keeps oxygen away from the print while curing, which reduces problems with uncured sticky resin.

2 Likes

Now this I must try

finally got some more resins to print with.
Elegoo trans green and Anycubic black.
currently printing a Darlek in the Elegoo as my mother really like them :grin:
at least now i have something to compare with the water washable resin.

i also got the part washer and curing machine so hoping my prints will be a lot better now.

i’ll drop a pic of the darlek tomorrow.

sorry for not posting earlier but I’ve been very busy doing lots of different things :grin:

so I’ve done lots of testing with the resins I have. I must say that the recommended resins are much better, but they all have their pluses.

My favourite is the Elegoo translucent green, easy to print and looks oh so good but is a little brittle. I did a large dragon egg for the wife with this and she seemed quite pleased with it.

Next would be the Anycubic black standard resin, this was again nice and easy to print and is between a solid and translucent colour so thin parts gave a nice almost see through look. this resin had a bit more flex to it before it would break.

after that is the Phrozen model grey, not bad to print with but does need a bit more exposure time to get it to stick properly to the build plate rather than the FEP.
this resin seems quite flexible so was good for figures.

I’m planning on getting some others from Elegoo and Anycubic once I’ve depleted my stock a bit more.

currently I’m printing my crystal chamber with the resin printer so should be nice and detailed.

thanx to all that have helped with printer settings and recommending me to resins.

1 Like

FYI
Lychee Slicer 3.4 released: Elephant’s Foot compensation and resin calibration to compensate for shrinkage at curing

I will check it out.
Ive been getting some good success from chitubox using the dims adjustment for base layers for when I print direct to build plate and have had no failures till this morning🤣 but it’s not a total loss, most parts came out fine just 1 came off the bed.

I’m about to try this, but the question is what do you cure with? A curing station for 4-6 mins? or the sun? or…

UV light:

I also painted the outside of the glass jar with silver paint to make the UV bounce around and hit the print from pretty much every direction.

1 Like

Nice. I printed a turntable riser so more gets to the bottom of things, blocked out the unneeded UV wavelength LEDs, and lined the base and UV lid with tin foil to bounce it around too.

2 Likes