Wiring up a red led bargraph

Greetings saber fans,
long time lurker and first time poster here. Been using proffie nearly constantly since proffie v1.5 and teensy saber v3. If anyone wants to see a good portion of the saber installs I’ve done they can be seen here at my youtube page ANW Saber Services

The bargraph I’m using is this one from smugglers outpost linked below and I’m wondering how I could go about using it as individual leds with proffie.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1304799777/10-led-segment-bar-graph-red-flat-style?ref=hp_active-mission-recs-rv-1-1

So far I have found two relatively viable options with one being individually addressable through data connections and one basically just being a string blade setup which would just make it light up and not do anything different as opposed to just wiring them up in their own parallel configuration.

1. Use a pixel to rgb converter since it does seem to have a data out pad I could chain 10 of these together and set it up as a regular neopixel sub blade. I already have the converters on hand and this seems like it could work but it would take a ton of chassis space to accommodate 10 of these boards.
    http://tinyurl.com/jz2j2e5y

2. Use a string blade setup but I’m not sure if they’ll be individually addressable this way since I’ve never crossed this bridge in all my years with proffie and teensy board

Only other way I can think of is to use the free 1-3 pads on the proffie v3 but even then I’d have to group some of them together assuming I’d only be using L2+L3 for the main neopixel blade and have L1+L4-L6 available which would still leave me 3 pads short of full animation.

Any help is appreciated, thank you and MTFBWY

1 Like

These types of bar graphs are not really supported with Proffieboards.
There just isn’t enough pads to make it work great. I highly recommend finding a bar graph that uses neopixels instead. They work better with ProffieOS, are easier to wire up and allows every color imaginable.

Not sure if such a thing exists in the same form factor as the bar graph you have though. Using ws2811 chips to drive the LEDs should work. In fact, you should be able to do it with just four chips, but it will require a good chunk of coding to convince ProffieOS that the byte order is RRR rather than RGB.

1 Like

Oh now that’s a good idea, instead of using 10 chips for each led just use all 3 led pads on each one and limit the amount of boards needed down to 4. You’re absolutely right though this would take one hell of a config and modifications to get it working right.

Would all the coding be in the config or would it be in the individual proffie OS folders? I imagine it would need to be modified in the blades or leds folder if I’m guessing right

//////////

It’s looking like I’d be better off just using this one from smugglers outpost with a CFX instead but that’s ok. I know shtok has an awesome neopixel bargraph he sells but I’m not really hurting to find a solution for this, it’s rather a brainteaser for myself at others at this point :grin:

/////////

Here’s another option I may end up going with since I already have the boards on hand too.

Using this though I’d have to modify the original bar graph by milling out the existing leds in the bar graph and resin (I think it’s resin) and soldering on the 2020 leds. Thankfully I already have everything I’d need to do this including the hot plate

Basically it involves creating a new byte order in ProffieOS. Once that byte order is created, the config changes are trivial.

Yup, that’s beyond me. I’ll just end up going with the tried and true neopixel route if need be.

Thank you for the help on clearing this up and thank you for the continued improvement on your profile boards over the years. It’s been my go to board for a long time and remains the king of soundboards in my humble opinion

Doesn’t look like it’s that hard to add the new byte order. If you decide you want to try doing it with with WS2811 chips, and wire each chip to three LEDs of the same color, I can have a go at adding the byte orders required to make that work well.

1 Like

That sounds like a plan to me.

I’ll tackle that this weekend on my bench test setup and reach out to you once I’m all set up for the new byte order.