Who's playing with Proffie to Bluetooth Speaker

Just an non-technical guy wondering if anyone has been fine tuning a way to get close to lag free sound from an external speaker?

An interesting idea, although would that not make you a little dissattatched from the sound source?
i.e. if it were playing from say the corner of the room?

Short answer is: no
Many attempts have been made, but as far as I know, they all come with significant lag so far. There are some guitar transmitters that could work, but I’m not sure what protocol they use. Also, there are new bluetooth protocols on the way (standardized late last year) which may make all of this simpler.

1 Like

I should also mention that Apt-X could work, but it’s proprietary and kind of priced themselves out of the market. I’m not aware of way to integrate Apt-X into a saber.

James Uhl had very good results (tough to tell on video) but looked instantaneous to me. He used the guts of this:

2 Likes

Interesting…yea some cosplayers and choreographers are toying with using small JBL clip speakers hidden in their costumes to produce much louder sounds, that to a small audience still eminate from the wielder. The louder and fuller sounds are enticing to be sure.

Not true, I did that few years ago with APTX transmitters and had no noticeable lag :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, I did that few years ago and still doing, probably was the first in the saber hobby to use APTX bluetooth transmitters (and receiver must be also APTX) with sabers. And I’m currently in the process of developing my own APTX low latency transmitter designed specially for use in sabers, more to come later :wink:

Here is one of my tests:
https://fb.watch/5dkcJVb_Oq/

2 Likes

Cool, you learn something new every day (if you run your own forum) :slight_smile:
I don’t suppose anybody have instructions for how to do this?

I used an APTX-LL transmitter and I’m very happy with the results. If this link doesn’t work, let me know and I’ll do my best to replicate everything here. Facebook Groups

1 Like

The link works. No need to replicate it unless you want to make it easier for people to find.
(You can’t use google search to find stuff in facebook groups, but if you post it here, google search should be able to find it.) It’s interesting to see that proffieboard stuff have now reached beyond the open-source and proffieboard groups.

Annoyingly, the crawlers haven’t yet picked up on the “squee-of-death” post which I was looking for the other day.

This is very cool! Thank you James and Dmitry! I hope to get at least one or two sabers done up for this. Love the volume from those tests. :pray:

2 Likes

What would be really cool would be an AptX transmitter board that takes I2C or S/PDIF inputs.
Then there would be no analog noise, and also, you could apply a lowpass filter to the sound sent to the speaker, while the sound sent to bluetooth would be unfiltered.

Haven’t found anything like that though. All the boards I can find have I2S out, but not in…

2 Likes

My custom module has that :wink:

4 Likes

@ShtokyD when we will be able to get a hold of that wonderfull bt board?

1 Like