What's the minimum battery voltage should I expect before my speaker starts to crackle?

I’m experiencing a lot of crackling from the speaker on my Proffie saber once my battery hits 3.6v or so. Is that to be expected or am I getting worse-than-expected performance?

Running a Smuggler’s Outpost 24mm Elite 2w 4ohm speaker in an LGT hilt with the blade at full brightness, speaker at 2200. Doesn’t seem to matter if I use the “SABERSTUDIO” 10A battery my saber came with or the Keep Power 15A battery I bought to have as a second battery.

It’s supposed to work well down until about 3 volts or so.
Some boards have problems with this, but I don’t actually know why.

1 Like

Thanks, but also bummer. Guess I’ll replace the board down the line if and when the supply chain sorts itself out.

Wonder if the button LED being soldered to the speaker+ pad has anything to do with it. Guess I’ll try removing that and see if it fixes it. Not sure why LGT has it wired that way honestly.

That is a very weird way to wire it.

RIGHT?? It makes it so the button LED is only on when the sound is on, which is great, but I can’t imagine what it must be doing to the sound circuitry…

You might also try winding down the level in your config a bit. 2200 might be a bit hot for a 2 watt speaker. Try 1700 and see how that sounds.

This is how I used to get a cheap crystal chamber flickering effect when using Nano Biscotte boards.
With all the options available on a Proffieboard, it is a silly choice at this point to still be using that method.

Seems like speakers beginning to crackle at only 3v is a pretty good argument for using 7.4v batteries instead of 3.7v batteries. :confused:

No it isn’t.

Why not? Would it not take longer for a 7.4v battery to drop to 3v than a 3.7?

I don’t want to highjack this thread with unrelated speculations. If you want a serious answer about the pros and cons of 7.4v battery packs, please start a new thread.