Use photo sensor as button press?

Hello! I’m working on a project and want a light sensor to trigger a button press on proffie 2.2. I found these which look promising, any idea if they’d work/wow I would wire it up?

The sensor will be used in a completely dark environment. Thank you very much for any ideas :slight_smile: the photo sensors I’m looking at:

20pcs TCRT5000L TCRT5000 Photoelectric Sensors Reflective Optical Sensor Transistor Output Infrared 950mm 5V 3A for Smart Car Robot Amazon.com

It would be helpful to know what you’re trying to do.
The sensor you pointed out is an infrared proximity sensor (IR LED + IR phototransistor).
I don’t think I would recommend using that part for anything though since it doesn’t seem to have a way to adjust sensitivity, and it has no modulation to avoid outside interference. Also, it doesn’t have any data sheets that explains how it actually works or how to hook it up.

Appreciate your reply Fredrik, the idea is for the “button press” to be activated by a sensor that detects something visually there or not in complete darkness. Something equivalent to say throwing a baseball through a hole, the sensor detects the ball as it passes through the hole, which would be the button press state.

Well, something like this device might work. Not sure how reliable it would be though.
Alternatively you could separate the IR transmittor and the photo transistor and have it trigger when something interrupts the beam between them.

However, you would need some better data sheets to know how to hook it up. Based on what is available on amazon, we would need to do a lot of guessing to figure out how to use the device.

Appreciate the information, based on my description does anything else come to mind? Outside of Amazon for example. Scale will quite small so anything tiny is ideal. Thanks again man loving your boards :+1:

Still not sure what you’re trying to do, but…

Wow this is super helpful dude appreciate it. I’ll send you a pm on fb explaining more, reply if you like :slight_smile:

I don’t use FB messenger, so I won’t see or reply to that message I’m afraid.

Ahhh, I tried to do it here but didn’t see an option.

Just click on my icon, then click “message”.

Weird, this is all I see:

Ok, so this turns out to be a “new user” restriction.
In general, the “new user” restrictions goes away after reading the board for a little bit. These restrictions are intended to discourage people from creating spam accounts in order to post links, spam users with messages or other weird stuff.

1 Like

Thanks man ttys :blush: