Unresponsive proffie after failed upload

so i was in the middle of flashing a proffieboard config and it got an error (see below)

I tried pushing boot and reset buttons on the proffie at the same time to reset it, but nothing. help?

Arduino: 1.8.19 (Windows Store 1.8.57.0) (Windows 10), Board: "Proffieboard V2, Serial, SDCARD (SPI), 80 MHz, Smallest Code"

c:/users/flyin/documents/arduinodata/packages/proffieboard/tools/arm-none-eabi-gcc/9-2020-q2-update/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/9.3.1/../../../../arm-none-eabi/bin/ld.exe:C:\Users\Flyin\Documents\ArduinoData\packages\proffieboard\hardware\stm32l4\3.6.0\variants\STM32L433CC-ProffieboardV2/linker_scripts/STM32L433CC_FLASH.ld:224: warning: memory region `SRAM2' not declared
c:/users/flyin/documents/arduinodata/packages/proffieboard/tools/arm-none-eabi-gcc/9-2020-q2-update/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/9.3.1/../../../../arm-none-eabi/bin/ld.exe: warning: changing start of section .bss by 24 bytes
c:/users/flyin/documents/arduinodata/packages/proffieboard/tools/arm-none-eabi-gcc/9-2020-q2-update/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/9.3.1/../../../../arm-none-eabi/bin/ld.exe: warning: changing start of section .bss by 24 bytes
Sketch uses 217552 bytes (82%) of program storage space. Maximum is 262144 bytes.
dfu-util 0.9

Copyright 2005-2009 Weston Schmidt, Harald Welte and OpenMoko Inc.
Copyright 2010-2016 Tormod Volden and Stefan Schmidt
This program is Free Software and has ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
Please report bugs to http://sourceforge.net/p/dfu-util/tickets/

Opening DFU capable USB device...
ID 0483:df11
Run-time device DFU version 011a
Claiming USB DFU Interface...
Setting Alternate Setting #0 ...
Determining device status: state = dfuERROR, status = 10
dfuERROR, clearing status
Determining device status: state = dfuIDLE, status = 0
dfuIDLE, continuing
DFU mode device DFU version 011a
Device returned transfer size 2048
DfuSe interface name: "Internal Flash  "
Downloading to address = 0x08000000, size = 217560
Download	[==============           ]  56%       122880 bytesError during special command "ERASE_PAGE" get_status
Error during special command "ERASE_PAGE" get_status

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

after fiddling around… i got it to work.

man… im just posting for no reason these days… :rofl:

FYI, the key to manually putting the board in bootloader mode is applying power while the BOOT button is depressed. The RESET button effectively breaks power, so the sequence needs to be releasing RESET before releasing BOOT.
You could achieve the same result by holding BOOT, plugging the USB in or pulling the kill key to provide battery power, then releasing BOOT.

Just saying that pressing the buttons “at the same time” is not exactly how it works.
When doing it that way, if it seems to work sometimes but not others, it’s likely just a matter of how your fingers come off the buttons, and the times it works is when you are releasing RESET slightly ahead of BOOT. Failures when it’s BOOT released first.

1 Like

Thanks Brian,

I actually knew this and was being lazy about writing out exactly what I did. Sorry about that.

I didn’t have any indication that it was in boot loader mode and just posted. Then immediately tried uploading my config again only to have it work…. So I just panicked for a sec and jumped on here.

2 Likes

respect for admitting that, and I’m sure that we have all done that at some point or other in our journey to being PROFFIE MASTERS. lol.