Trying to create new config for Bendu Armory Saber with Proffie Board

Hi!

I just got a new saber from Bendu Armory with a Proffie 3.9 in it. This is my first time using a Proffie board but I am not new to coding arduino based boards. I am trying to create a new config using Fett263’s website but I am stuck at selecting the blade detect pin. I am not sure which pins are controlling what and the sd card does not seem to have a config file that explicitly says which does.

With that being said, when looking at the soldering of the circuit and comparing it to the Proffie V3 configuration editor and selecting blade connecter it seems to match up. I have attached photos of the soldering of the board.

The config that gets pumped out is this:

#ifdef CONFIG_TOP
#include "proffieboard_v3_config.h"
#define NUM_BLADES 1
#define NUM_BUTTONS 2
#define VOLUME 1000
const unsigned int maxLedsPerStrip = 144;
#define CLASH_THRESHOLD_G 1.0
#define ENABLE_AUDIO
#define ENABLE_MOTION
#define ENABLE_WS2811
#define ENABLE_SD
#endif

#ifdef CONFIG_PRESETS
Preset presets[] = {
   { "TeensySF", "tracks/venus.wav",
    StyleNormalPtr<CYAN, WHITE, 300, 800>(), "cyan"},
   { "SmthJedi", "tracks/mars.wav",
    StylePtr<InOutSparkTip<EASYBLADE(BLUE, WHITE), 300, 800> >(), "blue"},
   { "SmthGrey", "tracks/mercury.wav",
    StyleNormalPtr<RED, WHITE, 300, 800>(), "red"},
   { "SmthFuzz", "tracks/uranus.wav",
    StylePtr<InOutHelper<EASYBLADE(OnSpark<GREEN>, WHITE), 300, 800> >(), "green"},
   { "RgueCmdr", "tracks/venus.wav",
    StyleNormalPtr<WHITE, RED, 300, 800, RED>(), "white"},
   { "TthCrstl", "tracks/mars.wav",
    StyleNormalPtr<AudioFlicker<YELLOW, WHITE>, BLUE, 300, 800>(), "yellow"},
   { "TeensySF", "tracks/mercury.wav",
    StylePtr<InOutSparkTip<EASYBLADE(MAGENTA, WHITE), 300, 800> >(), "magenta"},
   { "SmthJedi", "tracks/uranus.wav",
    StyleStrobePtr<WHITE, Rainbow, 15, 300, 800>(), "strobe"}
};
BladeConfig blades[] = {
 { 0, , CONFIGARRAY(presets) },
};
#endif

#ifdef CONFIG_BUTTONS
Button PowerButton(BUTTON_POWER, powerButtonPin, "pow");
Button AuxButton(BUTTON_AUX, auxPin, "aux");
#endif

Is there any way to tell which pin detects the blade from this or do I need to ask Bendu directly?

Here is a picture of the emitter if that helps as well.

Blade Detect must be wired separately, and is not a “standard” part of the wiring. Normally it’s wired to data 4 (blade4Pin), but I don’t see anything soldered there or on any of the other pins besides what I’d expect from a relatively barebones install, so I’d venture to say blade detect is not set up in your saber.

I’ll also link my configuration editor: GitHub - ryryog25/ProffieConfig: All-In-One Proffieboard Management Utility

If you’re familiar with arduino I’m sure you’re comfortable with that whole process so you probably won’t need that particular part of the functionality, but the rest and the way it’s laid out might help make what all the options are much clearer, especially as you get to adding fonts and setting up your blades/leds.

If your saber has two buttons, then all the solder points are accounted for and you do not have a blade detect wire.

Did you replace a 2.2 board and wire it for blade detect? Unless you specifically requested it Bendu to my knowledge doesn’t wire for blade detect. I’ll mention this topic to Andrew so he can chime in.

I don’t suppose an LED pin can be used for blade detect or blade id? I saw only 1 data pin with solder but there are 3 LED pins with solder which seemed unusual to me.

I’m a novice when it comes to wiring electronics–For my wiring reference: What about GND or an additional BATT-? The blade-id / blade-detect wire does connect to the negative/LED pins and reads the resistor connected between the blade data pin and negative, correct?

Thank you all for the help! Bendu sent me a photo of their wire set up which I am attaching. I guess where I am confused is that a majority of the guides I have seen use the Fett263 config builder and discuss the importance of knowing the wiring layout which all makes sense from a coding standpoint.

For the fett263 builder it has a portion where you should select a blade detect pin. Is that only applicable if you have blade detect set up?

Also here is the link to the config editor I am talking about: Fett263 Proffieboard ProffieOS6 & 7 Config Helper

No, LED pins are output-only.

Blade ID is done through the data pin, it does not require a separate wire like blade detect does. Blade ID should work as long as there aren’t any pixels hooked up before the blade. (In series with the blade.)

1 Like

@eharesco To answer part of your last question, you only select a blade detect pin if the build has it spec’d. If not spec’d in the build you skip that and it will not show as optioned in the config you generate.

I do wish builders would integrate blade detect at this point. I went through a ton of testing and bothered Fredrik in helping get it all fine tuned and usable for OS7. It’s a fun user interface thing and worth having. Here’s an updated example.

Just so I see it tried out (yeah I own 3 Bendu hilts myself) please try using BladeID like @profezzorn suggested. Maybe @NoSloppy can help since he put the work into that and BladeID’s worth having. I’m just not sure if the interactive like I have with the sounds, etc is possible.

Let me know what you get working. It’s all fun stuff. :smiley:

Thank you all! I got my saber working!

Nice! Please share the config change you did so the answer is available for future use. You can post it here using the backtick trick or post it to PasteBin and reply with the link.