Sequenced rather than random swing pair/ accent swing / blaster/clash audio file selection

Hey everyone, I’m new here but I started making fonts a few months back - I’m a sound designer/ producer by trade so it seemed like a really fun thing to try and now I’m hooked. You can check out my fonts here - Lightsaber Soundfonts - YouTube

I’ve been working on a ‘melodic’ font as a change from my usual stuff - (Working on a 'melodic' font as a change from my usual stuff - does make me wish there was more flexibility as far as the smooth swing algorithim - randomly selecting sounds works great for more standard fonts, but it would be great to be able to set specific sequences, and pair accents to swings etc : lightsabers) and I’m finding myself wanting more flexibility as far as the smooth swing algorithim - randomly selecting sounds works great for more standard fonts, but it would be great to be able to set specific sequences, and pair accents to swings etc

I’m imagining:

Set swing pair choices - while the saber is in motion it would stay on one swing pair, then rather than select the next one randomly from the list, it would move to a specified pair + so on until the end of the predetermined sequence. This would allow me to create actual chord progressions with swings where the user can choose duration of the note + when to move to the next one.

Match accent swings to swing pairs, so that accents could be tied to a specific swing pair and only play when the user does a hard swing while that swing pair is playing, allowing both for more musical matches between accents + swings, but would also work well for more standard fonts as would allow accents to fit naturally with certain swings.

I’m thinking that this may well be possible but I’ve not been able to find much info on whether it is by searching around, so if anyone knows if this is possible I’d really appreciate it!

2 Likes

All of this is possible, but it would take some coding to do.

First of all, swing pairs do not change while the saber is moving, only when it is fairly still.
Making it go to the next one instead of picking randomly is something that could be implemented
here:

Swing sounds are selected randomly, or by the strength of the swing here:

This is a fantastic sound font. I’d love to see a band put on a show powered only by lightsabers! Think Blue Man Group meets Star Wars. :smiley:

Edit: I’m referring to the melodic one, of course. The others are very cool as well. :smiley: