"Proof of Concept" Secondary Ignition/Retraction Effect for Staff / Dual Blade Sabers for ProffieOS7

I have the initial proof of concept built out for handling a secondary blade on a staff saber like Darth Maul or the Inquisitors. If you want to run two physical blades from a single Proffieboard these new Secondary Ignition/Retraction Effects and the new Conditional Effects will allow you to gain independent control over each. To start, in your presets you will set up one blade as the Primary blade (this will work just like a single bladed saber) in the style code, then you will set up the “other” blade as a Secondary blade in the style code. This will allow you to have a separate ignition and retraction for the Secondary blade that you can control in several ways.

The way it will work is your Primary blade will control if the saber is ON or OFF through normal button/gesture controls. After igniting the Primary Blade you can then set up the Ignition and Retraction for the Secondary blade, meaning you can ignite and retract the secondary blade as long as the Primary blade is ON. If you retract the Primary Blade through normal controls this will also retract the Secondary blade and turn the saber OFF. The Secondary Retraction only runs while the blade is ON and only retracts the secondary blade.

The Secondary Ignition/Retraction use the existing out.wav and in.wav sounds for your font but play them independently from the Primary allowing you to get the sounds to match. There are a few ways the Secondary Ignition/Retraction can be controlled.

• a 3rd Button (easiest will be addition of a 3rd button to the saber)
  • a new button control for 2 button sabers (1 button may not be possible without someone removing a feature and modding the prop on their own unfortunately) - TBD
  • a separate Conditional Effect - in the demo I set up a Conditional Ignition effect on the Primary Blade, if the blade is held parallel at the moment of Ignition, the Secondary Ignition will trigger once the primary blade finishes igniting we can add a delay to this as well, a la Darth Maul in TPM. We can actually set many different Conditional Effects and have different ones in each preset if we wanted.

In addition, for this demo I have set up Conditional Effects for Blast and Clash, this allows us to choose which blade the effects appear on because we don’t want two blades showing the same effect. The Conditional Effects control which blade the effects appear on from within the style code as well. So the normal controls for each effect still run the effects and then via the style code we select which blade will show the effects. The Condition in the demo is whichever blade is pointing up, if parallel the Primary Blade shows the effect. This gives us control over how the affects appear, so blasts and clashes will always appear on the blade that is pointing up (when the effect is triggered), allowing us to switch the effect back and forth by simply changing the angle (like battling two opponents).

I am still working with Fredrik on Conditional Lockup effects, but the plan will be to also have Lockup react to a condition so the style for each blade controls which blade shows the Lockup effect. This is still in development currently.

For those interested, I created the “faux” double blade using a SubBlade and SubBladeReverse with the “primary” blade starting at the middle pixel in a normal SubBlade and the “secondary” blade using SubBladeReverse so that it also starts at the middle but then moves our to the hilt.

There’s still a ton more coming, so stay tuned!

2 Likes

need. now. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

yep, this gives some great staff options, hell I was considering making this saber a staff but because of cost of 2 boards I didn’t want to, know I can.

1 Like

This could be cool for a Kylo Ren hilt. Could you have it where just igniting the main blade would cause it to be explosively unstable, like, spluttering, and igniting the quillons causes it to act like a normal Kylo?

1 Like

Certainly, since it’s all done in the styles you could use for the quillions or other combinations as well to control individually.

1 Like

In my previous Proof of Concept I showed the Secondary Ignition and Retraction concept for Dual Bladed sabers like Darth Maul or the Inquisitor, etc. as well as the Conditional Effects for Blast and Clash. I’ve got the Conditional Lockup effect now working as well.
The idea behind the conditional effects and lockup is to allow you to control which blade shows the effect based on a “condition” like blade angle which is controlled in the style for that blade itself. This allows us to use the existing controls for all effects and then the individual blade determines if it should show the effect or not via the style itself.
For Lockup I’ve set it up so whichever blade is pointing up (if parallel the primary blade takes effect) will take on and hold the lockup effect for the duration. This allows you to use one blade to block and lockup with your opponent and continue that effect even when moving out of the “condition” like sliding down while trying to gain leverage. This produces a more realistic effect than if the lockup “moved” from one blade to the other or if both blades showed the effect. There’s still more development on these but I have the initial proof of concept running so I’m pretty excited.
Still a bunch more in the works so stay tuned!

2 Likes

I’m already setting up the config for my v7 to accept the second pogo pin in hilt pcb, will the wiring diagram have to change? and is it worth having a second speaker?

From a style perspective you just need the two blades to be independent. I won’t actually map controls until all of the new OS7 features are done but will most likely at least have some options for 3rd button but its too soon to say what. The rest is up to how you want to build it.

1 Like