ProffieOS v7.x feature requests

Since ProfifeOS 6.x is now stable, new features will go into 7.x. But what features? Post your ideas!

1 Like

When you see it. Just did this for clarity between 5.9 and the new stuff as I now have both setups but run them separately when called for.

/*
 ProffieOS v6.5: Control software for lightsabers and other props.

The version is also available in the “version” string further down in the file.
Not as convenient though.

1 Like

Yep. This just makes it immediately viewable.

Another “WANT” is not necessarily board specific but code converting would be sweet. I’m pretty sure CFX has this to help go from the old version to the newer and will convert/update the code for you. This will help people in converting old bladestyle syntax to the new.

1 Like

For the most part, there is no need to convert styles, the old ones will work just fine. Modernizing styles is a job for the style editor though, and once the style editor supports all the new stuff, I’m hoping to add a button that injects RgbArg<> into the style as needed. This would be a bit similar to how the “layerize” button works.

3 Likes

X/Y/Z movement detection? I can’t remember if you completely discounted the possibility in the end.

1 Like

Non-linear in and out rates? It would be cool to be able to speed up or slow down the beginning and/or end of extension and retraction.

1 Like

I should have another go at making the fusor detect translation.
I have some new ideas for how to do it. It’s just not easy, which is why I failed last time I tried.

2 Likes

This was something I was going to take a stab at (in all my spare time lol)
Making a new function like
TrAccelWipe<START_SPEED_MILLIS, END_SPEED_MILLIS>
and have it use similar code to what SmoothFade does, only 1/2 of the curve.
Homework required:
Math
Invoking objects
Member Functions
this pointer
more math

3 Likes

OS7 feature: Some way to “easily” convert all input from rotate hilt->rotary encoder instead?
Currently, a receiver can be assigned on a per function basis (preset, variation etc…)
What if we could substitute the encoder anytime rotating the hilt is used while in a menu-like state? (therefore excluding responsive blade effects)
Like a #define setting or automatically use the rotary instead if it’s setup in the config file.
Just a thought.

4 Likes

Yes, translation is the next frontier in motion detection!

2 Likes

Bluetooth equipped proffie blaster sending a signal to a bluetooth proffie saber to trigger a blast.

4 Likes

Interesting idea, not sure if our current BT modules can act as a BT host though.
Might need an intermediary, like a phone or computer to make it work.

We have support already for doing this with IR, which has the bonus that it’s directional, so it will only trigger the saber you aim for. The drawback is of course that incorporating an IR sensor in your hilt while keeping it pretty is non-trivial.

2 Likes

Better support for dual blades… Independent power/auxillary button for each on one board, for example. Maybe official support for linking two boards? For example so they can know if it’s one or the other that detects the clash more, the second one ignores it, or maybe blaster blocks alternated between blades randomly. I’m not a dual blade guy, but I’m sure there’s loads that could be done to improve UX with two blades.

3 Likes

Higher power output to fets so we can build plasma blades and actually cut off limbs and such.

6 Likes

Wireless charging?

2 Likes

That can be done with a charging receiver plugged into a usb charger. Coil size is an issue. Also, gonna be slooooooooooow

2 Likes

Nothing new but:

Autosave config to SD during upload
Known upper limit for edit mode options
Ability to plug in a 5V wallwart and run a “demo” or “lamp” mode (hardware or software issue?) without a permanent conversion (via Microusb?)

Oh, being able to just power the hilt from the wall socket would be cool for display.

1 Like

Slow is fine. I was thinking of when a hilt is just sitting on it’s display stand for weeks on end and the battery is not removable. Also, I realized after the fact that this is not really a 7.x feature request.

1 Like