Proffie2.2 sound cutting out

Hey everyone!
First timer on this new site. So I hope I’m posting this in the right place.

So I’ll try to keep this short but detailed.

I’ve installed a few sabers but never encountered this issue. Initially a saber was sent back to me for repair because it wouldn’t turn on with the activation button. To my surprise, the customer sent the saber poorly packed into a box with the battery inserted (no kill key or kill switch) . The box was badly damaged and when I opened it, the board had popped loose out of the chassis and the customer had also removed the kapton tape. There’s two metal rails that hold the chassis board cover on so I feared the worst.

After examining the saber, the board appeared fine. I quickly figured out that the activation switch likely had been pressed too hard and was stuck down. I replaced the activation switch and all was good. Continued testing it out to be sure for about another 10 minutes, and decided it was good to be sent back to the buyer.

All was good for about 2-3 weeks. The buyer said they had been using it, and it was working fine. He said he changed the config and suddenly his speaker started sounding muffled almost as if it had low power. I’ve tested the power, checked for shorts, board doesn’t even get warm. I got the right voltage. But when I swing the saber, now the sound cuts out completely but the blade is still functioning. I can’t get the sound to come back on until I remove the battery where the same problem happens again.

When I hooked up to serial monitor, it doesn’t do it with the battery removed. As soon as I put the battery in, sound cuts out again. In serial monitor, all the commands look correct. When I swing it registers a swing, etc. But just before the sound cuts out, it’s registering a swing on, while the blade is already ignited.

Any suggestions? Really hoping the board is fine with how hard Proffieboard is to find with the chip shortage

Thanks in advance! Appreciate you guys.

Could it be that it mutes the saber?
What do you see if you do “get_volume” in the serial monitor after the sound cuts out?

Booster off.
Battery voltage: 4.09
Welcome to ProffieOS, type ‘help’ for more info.
EVENT: Power-Pressed#1 millis=35430
EVENT: Power-Pressed millis=35430
EVENT: Power-Released#1 millis=35489
EVENT: Power-Released millis=35489
EVENT: Power-Shortclick#1 millis=35489
EVENT: Power-Shortclick millis=35489
Ignition.
unit = 0 vol = 0.00, Playing Anakin_Bad/hum01.wav
channels: 1 rate: 44100 bits: 16
unit = 1 vol = 0.50, Playing Anakin_Bad/out/out03.wav
humstart: 2000
unit = 2 vol = 0.50, Playing Anakin_Bad/swingl/swingl04.wav
unit = 3 vol = 0.50, Playing Anakin_Bad/swingh/swingh04.wav
unit = 2 vol = 0.00, Playing Anakin_Bad/swingl/swingl02.wav
unit = 3 vol = 0.00, Playing Anakin_Bad/swingh/swingh02.wav
EVENT: Swing ON millis=37005
EVENT: Swing ON millis=37356
EVENT: Swing ON millis=37731
unit = 2 vol = 0.00, Playing Anakin_Bad/swingl/swingl04.wav
unit = 3 vol = 0.00, Playing Anakin_Bad/swingh/swingh04.wav
EVENT: Swing ON millis=38151
EVENT: Swing ON millis=38530
EVENT: Swing ON millis=38926
EVENT: Swing ON millis=39455
unit = 2 vol = 0.00, Playing Anakin_Bad/swingl/swingl04.wav
unit = 3 vol = 0.00, Playing Anakin_Bad/swingh/swingh04.wav
EVENT: Swing ON millis=39868
Battery voltage: 4.03
EVENT: Swing ON millis=40337
EVENT: Swing ON millis=40792
unit = 3 vol = 0.00, Playing Anakin_Bad/swingl/swingl03.wav
unit = 2 vol = 0.00, Playing Anakin_Bad/swingh/swingh03.wav
EVENT: Swing ON millis=41254
EVENT: Swing ON millis=41628
EVENT: Swing ON millis=41861
EVENT: Swing ON millis=42088
unit = 3 vol = 0.00, Playing Anakin_Bad/swingl/swingl02.wav
unit = 2 vol = 0.00, Playing Anakin_Bad/swingh/swingh02.wav
EVENT: Swing ON millis=42319
unit = 3 vol = 0.00, Playing Anakin_Bad/swingl/swingl03.wav
unit = 2 vol = 0.00, Playing Anakin_Bad/swingh/swingh03.wav
Playing Anakin_Bad/swingl/swingl03.wav
Playing Anakin_Bad/swingh/swingh03.wav
EVENT: Power-Pressed#1 ON millis=56083
EVENT: Power-Pressed ON millis=56083
EVENT: Power-Released#1 ON millis=56100
EVENT: Power-Released ON millis=56100
EVENT: Power-Shortclick#1 ON millis=56100
unit = 1 vol = 0.50, Playing Anakin_Bad/in/in02.wav
No sounds found: pstoff
Amplifier off.
Unmounting SD Card.
Battery voltage: 4.04

this is what showed up in serial monitor after the sound cut out, and I input the command get_volume

oh and to clarify, the sound did not return. The audio quality also is distorted the whole time, almost like when its connected to pc with no battery in.

I’m confused.
Is it distorted ALL of the time, and no sound whatsoever some of the time?
Do you have 5v on the 5v pad when the saber is ignited?

Yes. The distortion started immediately after he changed his config file and added a few fonts. It’s constant. Sometimes, the boot.wav sounds ok, but immediately becomes distorted afterwards. The sound cuts out during multiple swings. I will check 5v pad voltage shortly

I’m getting 5.18v on 5v pad when saber is ignited. I should add, this is without a blade attached. Just the NPXL leds illuminated.

And you’ve replaced the speaker to rule that out?

I have not done that yet. Would a blown speaker cut out completely?

The wires that connect to the coil are very thin. If they were loose due to the coil being out of alignment or something, it could cause issues like that.

I agree that you should try a different speaker.
It’s probably also worth trying a different battery and a different SD card, although I don’t think they are the cause of this.
It also doesn’t seem like it’s a software issue to me.

I recommend recording a video of the problem, sometimes little details about how how it acts or sounds can help identify the problem.

However, ultimately, I think that if replacing the speaker doesn’t help, then there is most likely something wrong with the amplifier on the board.

1 Like

Also, try cleaning the board with some isopropyl and a soft toothbrush just in case something errant is causing this.

1 Like

It’s not a bad idea, but be careful since IPA can dissolve some types of plastics, like ABS.
It’s also possible to brush more crap into the SD card reader that way, which can cause problems.
Finally, brush carefully, some people have managed to clean components of the board and break it.

Thanks guys! I will give this a try this weekend. Luckily I have a few extra speakers handy. If that doesn’t solve the problem I’ll upload a video and go from there.

It was the speaker :man_facepalming:t2:

I was so fixated on the condition it was in when he shipped it that I completely assumed the worst. Thought for sure with him leaving the battery in and the board popping loose meant it was fried. Lesson learned. Rule out the easy stuff before assuming all is lost.

Thanks for your help guys! Woulda wasted so much time and money without the tips

3 Likes

I thought it was acetone that dissolved filament, hence the use of acetone baths to smooth out prints?

You’re mostly right. Acetone dissolves ABS and many other plastics. IPA kind of does too, but it’s a very slow process, so mostly it tends to cause hazy and pitted surfaces when you use it on plastics. Probably relatively harmless to 3d prints and stuff that doesn’t have to look perfect, but don’t use it to clean plastic lenses or shiny plastic objects.

What do you recommend using to clean off the board? Thanks!

• IPA or distilled water
  • a very soft brush, lint-free q-tips or an ultrasonic cleaner
  • soap can be used, but has to be rinsed off carefully

(Don’t use soap in an ultrasonic cleaner btw…)

1 Like