Out—>hum transition

I’ve asked this before and was hoping some aspect of OS7 had solved it, but I’ve been playing with humstart and humdelay and have been unable to achieve a seamless transition into the hum. Is there any way to do this?

This example is using poweron/humM1/poweroff and it works great. It just irks me to have to do that.
https://youtube.com/shorts/UbpFPz8EFIc?si=IL_snnIHRvs0_qJv

This is actually the right way to do it.
It will create a “hybrid” font, where the hum transitions are done as if the font is monophonic, but all the other sounds are played over the hum, like a polyphonic font.

No need to use humm1.wav though, “hum.wav” should also work.

I’ve been contemplating adding a way to specify in the font config file which effects are monophonic and which ones are polyphonic, but I have not added that yet.

1 Like

Gotcha. Thank you, Professor.

Would you share how you made this solution work? I was just trying to figure this out yesterday with a font that has a transition gap noticeable enough to annoy me.

Certainly. It’s simple. Instead of naming your ignition and retraction out01.wav and in01.wav respectively, you name them poweron.wav and poweroff.wav. The CFX nomenclature makes the board play them as monophonic, thereby giving you a seamless transition. As Professor said, the hum can remain hum.wav.

2 Likes

Just to clarify, this is for when either:

• it’s a typical saber sound font and your ignition sound has hum mixed into the ignition sound already, therefore wants to play back-to-back seamlessly with a hum sound, (a.k.a. monophonically), or
  • it’s a special use case sound such as the Conan example or a musical themed thing where you want to butt the ignition sound to the hum sound intentionally.

Under typical saber sound polyphonic font use, the “noticeable transition gap” is usually just a matter of setting the humStart value noticeable in the font config.ini file.
Too long of a delay will make a noticable “gap” as the tail end of the polyphonic out.wav fades away, then the hum starts “abruptly”.
You want to set it so that the hum blends in as it’s mixed underneath the ignition sound.

See the image below for a visual explanation of the difference between humStaart and ProffieOSHumDelay, then use one or the other to set your value accordingly.
The only difference is that ProffieOSHumDelay is the milliseconds from the beginning of the out sound to the start of the hum sound,
while humStart is the opposite; it’s the milliseconds backtimed from the END of the out.wav to bring in the hum.

The settings are in the font’s config.ini file (ProffieOS Documentation: Sound Font config.ini configuration)

and look like this:

# Default config.ini

# This specifies how many milliseconds before the end of the "out" sound the hum
# starts to fade in. Default 100
humStart=100

# From ProffieOS 7.x, you can use ProffieOSHumDelay to specify how many milliseconds
# from the beginning of "out" to start the hum. If both ProffieOSHumDelay and humStart
# are specified, then ProffieOSHumDelay is the one that will count.
ProffieOSHumDelay=-1
3 Likes

Thanks to both of you for the thorough explanations!

1 Like