Os6.6 false clashes and stab sound and effects

Bendu hilt tests fine @ 4.0 and 1600. Pushing to 1700 and depending on result will push down clash from there. I definitely believe the input that how the board is mounted and what the chassis is DOES MATTER.

I added two new defines, Iā€™m not going to document them, because they are just for testing and debugging:

#define PROFFIEOS_MOTION_FREQUENCY 1660
#define PROFFIEOS_ACCELEROMETER_RANGE 16

The range cam be 2, 4, 8 or 16.
The frequency can be 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3300 or 6600, although Iā€™ve only tested 800 and 1600.

Of course, you need the latest ProffieOS from github to use these defines.

1 Like

Duly noted. What are the current ā€œfactoryā€ settings? 1660 and 16?
*So I know what the defaults are.

Thanks.

Yes, that is correct.

Iā€™m re-opening an old wound simply because Iā€™m not sure thereā€™s been a definitive understanding for why a different prop file seems to make a difference as to whether the saber became so sensitive as of OS6.
In the past 2 days Iā€™ve seen no less than 3 accounts saying changing to sa22c_buttons made ā€œthe problemā€ go away.
I DO understand that anything related to clashes is not handled in the prop so the issue would lie elsewhere. But somehow, changing props looks to be a recreatable fix / break.
I just find it odd.
Hereā€™s an example:

If this is not appropriate in this thread, I could happily move it to a new one. Just seemed like the place.

The users should post in this group and help test. I still have not experienced this on any saber (12 now) so thereā€™s no real way to determine without having the sabers that are experiencing do some tests to help isolate the cause.

I still canā€™t think of anything in my prop that would make it ā€œmore sensitiveā€.

We were able to determine thereā€™s an added delay from using the Event (although technically sa22cā€™s prop uses as well since he integrated Battle Mode). See here: Changing Clash Speed On Proffie Saber - #16 by profezzorn

But the only other modification to clashes is the 1ms delay for Clash Strength to be calculated which occurs AFTER a clash detection via HandleClash(). The actual clash Event is handled in prop_base so I canā€™t think of how my prop could create a false clash on its own.

I would suggest the users who are experiencing, if they want a resolution, should post here and run some tests for us so we can see if it is something in the prop or if thereā€™s something else going on.

I still have not been able to recreate on any of my sabers so I donā€™t have any way to look deeper. Have the users who are experiencing post a new thread in ProffieOS section so we can try some things out.

ā€œI did X and the problem went awayā€ isnā€™t very helpful unfortunately, because a lot of the times users change things without realizing, like maybe they had ini files that got wiped out when they changed?

This is why I always ask people: Does the problem come back if you switch back? And if it does, post both config files so we can make sure nothing else got changed. (Like CLASH_THRESHOLD_Gā€¦) About half the time the problem doesnā€™t come back when they switch back, and then we sitll donā€™t know what happenedā€¦

The scientific method requires an experiment to be reproducible, otherwise it doesnā€™t mean anything.

Hi, Iā€™m the OP of that post in the FB group. I can confirm that on OS 6.7, when Iā€™m on the Fett263 prop file, my blade effects have a bit of a delay when compared to using the SA22C prop file. Most notably are the clashes, but I noticed that other blade effects are delayed as well. For example:

1. If I do blaster effects very quickly, a few of them would show the animation on the blade, but the sound does not play

2. There is a delay when triggering the lockup effect after I press the aux button that isnā€™t present when using the SA22C prop file (Iā€™m using the FETT263_HOLD_BUTTON_LOCKUP define)

I figured it might be an SD card issue and that the Fett263 prop needs a better SD card, but @NoSloppy asked me to post here before I changed my SD card. I will also point out that when compiling the config file, if Iā€™m using the Fett263 prop file, it takes up 74% memory, while using the SA22C prop file uses 70% memory.

Here is the top of my config file. For testing, I would comment out the FETT263 defines/prop file and uncomment the SA22C defines/prop file. I also did not reformat my SD card while swapping between prop files:

#ifdef CONFIG_TOP
#include "proffieboard_v2_config.h"
#define NUM_BLADES 1
#define NUM_BUTTONS 2
#define VOLUME 1000
const unsigned int maxLedsPerStrip = 144;
#define CLASH_THRESHOLD_G 3.5
#define ENABLE_AUDIO
#define ENABLE_MOTION
#define ENABLE_WS2811
#define ENABLE_SD
#define SAVE_STATE
#define DISABLE_DIAGNOSTIC_COMMANDS
#define DISABLE_BASIC_PARSER_STYLES
#define NO_REPEAT_RANDOM
#define MOTION_TIMEOUT 60 * 15 * 1000
// #define ENABLE_SPINS
// #define FILTER_CUTOFF_FREQUENCY 100
// #define FILTER_ORDER 8
// #define SA22C_SWING_ON
// #define SA22C_SWING_ON_SPEED 400
// #define SA22C_THRUST_ON
// #define SA22C_TWIST_OFF
#define FETT263_SWING_ON
#define FETT263_SWING_ON_NO_BM
#define FETT263_SWING_ON_SPEED 400
#define FETT263_THRUST_ON
#define FETT263_THRUST_ON_NO_BM
#define FETT263_TWIST_OFF
#define FETT263_MOTION_WAKE_POWER_BUTTON
#define FETT263_HOLD_BUTTON_OFF
#define FETT263_HOLD_BUTTON_LOCKUP
#define FETT263_QUOTE_PLAYER_START_ON
#define FETT263_EFFECT_BATTERY_LEVEL
#define FETT263_SAY_BATTERY_PERCENT
#define FETT263_BM_CLASH_DETECT 6
#endif

#ifdef CONFIG_PROP
// #include "../props/saber_sa22c_buttons.h"
#include "../props/saber_fett263_buttons.h"
#endif

I also filmed videos of both prop files that Iā€™ll try to post to my original FB post.

Sorry for the double post (I couldnā€™t find an edit option for my first post), but I also wanted to point out that I so also occasionally get false stab effects when doing things like blaster and force effects, though Iā€™m guessing thatā€™s something I need to dial in with the clash sensitivity?

Clash sensitivity between the 2 prop files is the actual comparison to do, looking to see if thereā€™s a difference for some reason that switching props causes false clashes .
Your post specifically said "clash sensitivity is a bit wonky when using the Fett263 prop file. My clash threshold is only set to 3.5, and after the first clash itā€™s hard to trigger another. This doesnā€™t happen when I swap to the Sa22c prop file on OS 6.7, and everything runs smoothly. "
This would actually indicate the opposite of false clashes if theyā€™re more difficult to trigger.

So the test would be to go back and forth between those 2 props, record the results, then revert to OS5.9 and test going between the 2 props again, seeing if results are different.

Start a new thread in ProffieOS section and post your config.

First and foremost run ā€˜sdtestā€™ in Serial Monitor for a font that gives you issues, (remove or comment out DISABLE_DIAGNOSTIC_COMMANDS define) and post results in the new thread. Laggy effects are caused by slow SD card in nearly every instance. So letā€™s address that first and see if it clears everything else up.

Ok I did some testing, here are my steps and results:

1. Switching between SA22C prop and Fett263 prop on OS 6.7 - Iā€™m consistently getting the same result where clashes are hard to trigger/delayed after the first clash unless I pause in between clashes while on the Fett263 file (see the videos on FB: Fett263 prop video, SA22C prop video)

2. Reverted to OS 5.9 and ran both Fett263 prop and SA22C prop files - No issues, clashes are very responsive

3. Updated back to OS 6.7 - Same issues persists while on the Fett263 prop file

Here is the top of my config file while on OS 5.9 (clash threshold is still 3.5, volume at 1000):

#ifdef CONFIG_TOP
#include "proffieboard_v2_config.h"
#define NUM_BLADES 1
#define NUM_BUTTONS 2
#define VOLUME 1000
const unsigned int maxLedsPerStrip = 144;
#define CLASH_THRESHOLD_G 3.5
#define ENABLE_AUDIO
#define ENABLE_MOTION
#define ENABLE_WS2811
#define ENABLE_SD
#define SAVE_STATE
#define DISABLE_DIAGNOSTIC_COMMANDS
// #define SA22C_SWING_ON
// #define SA22C_SWING_ON_SPEED 400
// #define SA22C_THRUST_ON
// #define SA22C_TWIST_OFF
#define MOTION_TIMEOUT 60 * 15 * 1000
// #define ENABLE_SPINS
// #define GESTURE_AUTO_BATTLE_MODE
#define FETT263_SWING_ON
#define FETT263_SWING_ON_NO_BM
#define FETT263_SWING_ON_SPEED 400
#define FETT263_THRUST_ON
#define FETT263_THRUST_ON_NO_BM
#define FETT263_TWIST_OFF
#endif

#ifdef CONFIG_PROP
// #include "../props/saber_sa22c_buttons.h"
#endif

I just ran tests in the Serial Monitor, and my SD card is getting between ā€œ1103.48 kb/s, 12.51 simultaneous audio streamsā€ and ā€œ1093.95 kb/s, 12.40 simultaneous audio streamsā€, depending on the font. The clash issue happens on all fonts on my test config.

Iā€™ll start a new thread in my next post, but I figured itā€™s easier to reply to you directly in this thread.

Not terrible results for SD. In new thread explain exactly what youā€™re seeing in my prop, sa22cā€™s prop doesnā€™t have any OS6 features so itā€™s apples and oranges. I merged sa22cā€™s prop with mine since he wasnā€™t able to update for OS6.

I had to set my clash threshold to 7.75 and take the stab out of the blade style and sound font and now no more false clashes or stabs

Something certainly happened during the transition from OS5.9 to 6.0, and the issue remains to current day. It seems the false clashes starting being an issue right around this time, or at least thatā€™s when everyone started reporting it.

Me personally, while I applaud all the new enhancements and features OS6+ has brought to the table to make the board one step above the rest, ā€¦but this false clash issue has crippled Proffie to something that isnā€™t even stable (functioning as normal) anymore from just a normal operating saber standpoint.

All the new fun features that OS6 brought to the table doesnā€™t justify or out-weigh not having normal clashes anymore IMO.

Donā€™t get me wrong, Proffie is still my fave boardā€¦its just a real frustrating time with it now.

Personally I think it has something to do with the clash strength enhancement because we didnā€™t have it before in the old OS

So the question at hand is whether changing prop files seems to ā€œfixā€ the issue for a mysterious unknown reason.
Please test by setting saber_fett263_buttons.h as the prop, test, then switch to another such as sa22c prop and test again, all on OS6.
Post results. Thanks.

Are you referring to normal button props, or special gesture control functions? Cause im not using any gesture controls, battle mode, or any of that stuff

Iā€™ll take a look when i get home

Talking about the whole prop file.
Changing

#ifdef CONFIG_PROP
#endif

to

#ifdef CONFIG_PROP
#include "../props/saber_sa22c_buttons.h"
#endif

1 Like