OLED not turning on without blade

Video
The oled, as you can see from the video is fully functional, but if i don’t insert the blade at the first activation of the kil switch, the oled doesn’t work.
Thanks
Max

Great video.
So it seems like something in the initialization routine seems to care whether there’s a blade in or not.
Does it do the same behavior if you use USB power only?

Yes, the same

Have you very closely examined your soldering on SDA and SCL pads to make sure there’s no shorts?

This is weird.
There are plenty of ways that a blade could cause electrical interferrence that could cause problems.
Electrical interference when you don’t have a blade is weird and unusual.

Also, blade and OLED wires don’t really share any connections except GND, so it’s unusual for the blade to interfere with the OLED.

If I was trying to make this happen, then I would connect the blade detect pin to GND on the oled. Hopefully that’s not what’s happening here.

I do wonder about that chassis though. Is it conductive? Is it possible that pressing down on the blade makes short between the chassis and the back of the pogo pin PCB?

Notice though how once it initializes and works with blade in, that removing the blade it stays working? My gut instinct says to try another OLED , but that might not be possible.

Something definitely goes wrong during initialization.
That means that using a multimeter to find the problem might be difficult. Initialization is over pretty quick.

1 Like

Let me remind you that the config and the wiring diagram is inconsistent on using Neopixels vs RGB leds. I’m very suspect of the wiring.

If the ground is connected through the blade detect pin on the pixel pcb connector then that would cause this problem because the ground circuit would not be complete until the blade is inserted just a possibility

1 Like

The chassis is made of resin, printed in 3d, there are no metal elements that interfere with the electronics.
By now the sword is closed, glued… I find it difficult to check the pcb, I could check the welds on the proffie board.
Thanks for the advice everyone!

Newzerocinema

Did you ever find an answer to this? I have a screen that is showing the same as yours did with the blade out, but I can’t check it with the blade in due to the nature of the chassis. It’s going to be tough to replace it, so I’m exploring all avenues before I resort to a full tear down.