NPXL and Config file help. Anyone willing to help a complete noob with his first build?

I’m trying to do a Roman Props ESP Graflex build. I just got all my parts this week and I spent time looking over the proffie manual, NPXL manual, and learning how to install and configure a proffie board. I followed the guide for installing/configuring proffie os from Powell’s Power-Ups, but now I think the config that I set is not correct for the build I’m trying to do. I really just want a 1 button setup with a single font. I’m attaching my current config for reference.
my_current_config.h (6.6 KB)

Right now I’m stumped on what NPXL data input option I should use. My NPXL hilt connector already has two 330ohm resistors so consulting the manual, it seems like the easiest route would be the:

V2 – blade + pcb leds in parallel
This way a single Data lead controls both blade and
on-board connector leds in parallel.
Data lead is wired to D2 pad with on-board 330 ohm 0603
resistors R1 and R2."

However when I look further in the manual at the wiring diagram and config I’m getting confused. It seems like the NPXL wiring diagram is just for either the V3 or V4 data input options.

First it is telling me that I need to add a second blade to the config with 5 additional LEDs, however when I look at my NPXL connector there are actually 6 LEDs, so I am assuming this info was for older boards?

Also when I look at the config file there is a difference between the one I get from the official proffie configurator and the once shown in the NPXL manual.

Here is the blade style section from the configurator:

};
BladeConfig blades = {
{ 0, WS281XBladePtr<122, bladePin, Color8::GRB, PowerPINS<bladePowerPin2, bladePowerPin3> >(),
WS281XBladePtr<6, blade2Pin, Color8::GRB, PowerPINS<bladePowerPin4, bladePowerPin5> >()
, CONFIGARRAY(presets) },
};
#endif

And here it is from the NPXL manual:

BladeConfig blades = {
{ 0,
WS2811BladePtr<136, WS2811_ACTUALLY_800kHz | WS2811_GRB, bladePin, PowerPINS<bladePowerPin1, bladePowerPin2, bladePowerPin3> >(), // Main Blade with 136 pixels
WS2811BladePtr<5, WS2811_ACTUALLY_800kHz | WS2811_GRB, blade2Pin, PowerPINS<bladePowerPin1, bladePowerPin2, bladePowerPin3> >(), // Connector “Hilt” pcb pixels
CONFIGARRAY(presets) },
};
#endif

I don’t know which is accurate.

The NPXL manual also indicates:

make sure to add a #define SHARED_POWER_PINS line.
Also download and replace this file in “blades” folder
in ProffieOS root folder: power_pin.h

However the link to the “updated” power_pin.h file is dead, so I’m not sure if this is just old information.

I just want this set up as a one button saber with the simplest NPXL wiring possible. If anyone can help me out I would really appreciate it.

It sounds like you might have an old NPXL manual, maybe look for a newer one?

Neither of the two blades[] array you posted look right if your neopixels are wired in parallel. The one in your config file looks fine though.

Also, with parallel wiring, you don’t need SHARED_POWER_PINS.
Finally, I don’t think there is ever a need to replace power_pin.h anymore, that advice seems pretty old to me.

1 Like

Do this. Confirm you have a resistor on both R1 and R2 pads.

Use this. (edited to a single blade) You’re wiring in parallel so the board only sees one blade wired to data 1 and LED pads 2&3.

Ignore this. Only needed if you had 2 blades wired to 2 different datapads but shared the same LED pad(s) for power. No idea what that power_pin thing was, but it’s old info.

1 Like