New Proffie Padawan with a lightsaber and a few questions!

Yo! JK2 References aside, I’m super happy to be the owner of a new pre-installed Proffie 2.2 Saber (Got a rly good price on Exegol Outpost: https://exegoloutpost.com/shop/ols/products/jerecs-fall/ ) and I’m also excited to get my hands dirty with customizations, but I have SEVERAL questions that seem to have some pretty nebulous answers…?

1: Perhaps the most important question, do I absolutely need to have a copy of the config file that came with the saber before I do anything else…? Upon popping my SD into my laptop I only found the sound fonts and blade style txts, no copy of the config itself. I’ve watched like 6 different tutorials that gloss over which config to use, two of which mentioning that you should have the config file itself already, but like… ??? I’m PERFECTLY fine with starting over, I just need to know that if I flash a fresh config w no blade styles on it, I’m not gonna permanently brick it. Y’know?

2: Any good general advice for starting down this path of customizations and such? I’m definitely tech savvy, but have no experience in soldering or wiring (which I’m sure won’t be needed hopefully?).

Happy to meet y’all!

Start here, it’s helped many new users, just go step-by-step.

Actually haven’t seen this link yet, tysm!

My question still kinda stands though, I have, as of yet, to get my config file from the manufacturer. If for some reason I can’t… how difficult is it to try and rebuild that config from scratch? Any resources on that?

My two cents:

If you want the saber to work exactly as it did from the seller, you’ll need a copy of the config. They should provide you one if they haven’t already, so contact them if you can’t find it. You can always use an alternate config or build one from scratch with the info and tools Fett263 provided in the link.

If you play/mess with them on a daily basis, you might as well learn to solder, cuz stuff will wear out and break.

Welcome to the club!

Technically it’s answered in the page ;-), the installer really should be providing a copy of the config. If you know exactly how it’s wired you can create your own but I would start with trying to get it from the installer.

Update: Manufacturer got back to me and linked me a file named Anakin_EP3_Proffie_2_Button.h, which isn’t the config.h but it’s what they sent me. So, now I’m a bit confused, I need the proffieboard_v2_config.h file, not just the button file, right? Or… do I not need to touch the actual config.h file and just go with this for now?

I apologize for the newbish questions, just really trying not to brick this

Are you sure it’s not the config file?
Have you looked at the contents of the file?

Usually “proffieboard_v2_config.h” is a file that specifies the board behavior. Your config file will probably start with #include "proffieboard_v2_config.h" but the name of the config file will be something different.

Looking between the configurator on Fred’s website and the config file sent over, they seem to start out the same:

#ifdef CONFIG_TOP
#include “proffieboard_v2_config.h”
#define NUM_BLADES 1
#define NUM_BUTTONS 2
#define VOLUME 1800
const unsigned int maxLedsPerStrip = 144;
#define CLASH_THRESHOLD_G 2.0
#define ENABLE_AUDIO
#define ENABLE_MOTION
#define FETT263_TWIST_ON
#define FETT263_TWIST_ON_NO_BM
#define FETT263_TWIST_OFF
#define MOTION_TIMEOUT 60 * 5 * 1000
#define ENABLE_WS2811
#define ENABLE_SD
#endif

then it goes through blade styles and such. It IS a TXQ saber, and the file sent over to me was actually a default (supposedly) they use, so… If TXQ installers use pretty standard base configs then I’d feel better about trying this one out, but if anyone has any objections to that line of thinking please say so XD

You want to review the entire factory config, so yea it’s important.

Why? Because it shows you how the top section is defined, how the presets/bladestyles are laid out, and how the bottom section is defined. All interact in regards to buttons, defines, volume, clash, whether or not it has sublades (even if only a single blade buttons and accent lights are also able to be used/written as sub blades), and how the pins are setup. Share the entire config and we can provide you examples and better information to understand it all best.

If it’s ok to post the entire factory config, here’s what I got (if not, I’ll edit this and take it off):

This is what was shared with me, I do have a two button config and a single blade. no crystal chamber or anything fancy like that

Looks like a reasonable configuration file to me.

Alright, so… here’s my concern.

Let’s say I go through the steps with this config file. Say I update with this, and it turns out to be the wrong config file. What would happen, how could I possibly fix it?

It’s fairly difficult to cause any permanent damage by using the wrong config file. However, things might not work until you re-flash it with the right config file.

That said, it’s possible to backup the proffieboard programming before uploading, that way you can go back to what it was before if something should go wrong.

Note that the backup is not a config file, it will be a binary file, containing the compiled proffieos+config file.

1 Like

THAT

is EXACTLY what I needed, thank you so much!!

Now then! I’m off to trial and error the hell outta my lightsaber, I’ll pop back if I need any other help, thank you all so much for your help with my questions! Yall the besstttttt

1 Like

This is the way…

that I learned, too. Lol

You have fancy Unicode quotation marks in
It should just be straight plain quotes like
#include "proffieboard_v2_config.h"

Use a text editor that uses plain text for editing Proffie stuff.
I suggest Sublime Text.

I DID IT
oh my god i did it
tysm all im off to create ungodly blade styles and sound fonts <3

1 Like

“Click!” Such a good feeling. Lol

Alrighty! First issue encountered, upon updating to latest OS (7.13) the volume controls (Hold PWR click AUX) seems to just not do anything. No sound, no feedback or nothin. If I AM getting into that menu (which I THINK I am? I press PWR another time and nothing happens so I think it’s just getting out of the menu) then the volume isn’t changing no matter what I do.

I’m using the saber_fett263_buttons config, just don’t have edit mode or anything engaged. Am I going to need that for this to work…?

Edit: Config because people are gonna ask-

#ifdef CONFIG_TOP
#define NUM_BLADES 1
#define NUM_BUTTONS 2
#define VOLUME 1000
const unsigned int maxLedsPerStrip = 144;
#define CLASH_THRESHOLD_G 4.0
#define ENABLE_AUDIO
#define ENABLE_MOTION
#define FETT263_TWIST_ON
#define FETT263_TWIST_ON_NO_BM
#define FETT263_TWIST_OFF
#define MOTION_TIMEOUT 60 * 5 * 1000
#define ENABLE_WS2811
#define ENABLE_SD
#endif

#ifdef CONFIG_PROP
#include “…/props/saber_fett263_buttons.h”
#endif

};
BladeConfig blades = {
{ 0, WS281XBladePtr<129, bladePin, Color8::GRB, PowerPINS<bladePowerPin2, bladePowerPin3> >(), CONFIGARRAY(presets) },
};
#endif

#ifdef CONFIG_BUTTONS
Button PowerButton(BUTTON_POWER, powerButtonPin, “pow”);
Button AuxButton(BUTTON_AUX, auxPin, “aux”);
#endif

You’re using the fett263 prop file.
You need to have a folder on the SD card named “common” that contains all the menu sounds. Do you have that?

Secondly, note that when it says “Hold PWR click AUX”, it works best if you do those kind of combos by (relatively quickly)
Press and hold PWR, press and release AUX, then release PWR.