New Blade Idea

Thanks everyone!

Sneak peak of the string being assembled:

4 Likes

Interesting. I know a few of us on here might be insane enough to try something like this. What are your totals costs at so far?

It’s not cheap compared to a normal blade. You could lower the cost by have the PCB’s panelized and assembled by the board manufacturer…but that would require a larger quantity to be purchased.

Just a warning, I have spent about 20 hours so far in manual assembly. I could not do it again.

Here is my cost to build it, including the blade materials:

BOM
Part P/N Cost Qty Needed Ext. Cost
Pixel IN-PI42TASPRPGPB $0.30 570 $170.43
Capacitor (0.15 uF) GRM155R71E104KE14D $0.01 190 $1.33
Board $11.44 0.5 $5.72
Stencil $16.07 1 $16.07
Wire $22.00 0.3 6.60
Board Shipping $17.01 1 $17.01
Wire Shipping $10.69 1 $10.69
Components Shipping $8.89 1 $8.89
Blade Tube $10.25 1 $10.25
Blade Tip $6.50 1 $6.50
Blade Base $4.00 1 $4.00
Foam Tube $9.50 1 $9.50
Blade PCB $4.28 1 $4.28
Tax $26.45
Total $297.72
2 Likes

Wow, I know you ran through some basic figures earlier but holy moly.
I hope ot ends up being the “one blade” you just have to show off!

Yeah, it added up fast…

I think it is going to be really nice looking. None of my sabers are built to handle 15 amps at the moment. But, with mono-color it sits around 6 amps, which is reasonable.

I got some of the new “thin” ID foam from TCSS, the only problem is the OD is still really loose in a 1" thin walled blade. I’m thinking about going down to 7/8". The only problem with that is there are no good tips for 7/8" trans-white blades on TCSS…:frowning:

would love to see what the blade looks like versus a dual strip neopixel blade

1 Like

I’m planning on doing a comparison once it’s done. Some sort of undersaturated photo would probably be the best comparison.

1 Like

@profezzorn did a thread on capturing blades on camera in HDR:

1 Like

Actual HDR photage requires fairly expensive cameras.
My recommendation is simply to do the comparison in a bright room, or maybe even outside.
If the environment is bright enough, then the blades won’t be clipped and you might actually be able to tell the difference in the pictures.

1 Like

All good advice. I will probably have to do some testing to get a good picture. My main concern right now is finishing assembly of the blade. I have 40 disks stacked, ~130 to go.

3 Likes

yeah, i’m now also quite interested to see our super blade here outside

2 Likes

Just 6" to go:

3 Likes

It’s done. Here it is next to a skinny-mini blade. They are both running 0,20,255 as the color. I’m not sure how charged either one is, as it is 1 AM and I cannot deal with it right now.

I have a few dead pixels that need to be resurrected.

3 Likes

Nice job, take a well deserved break!
Looking forward to comparison shots.

2 Likes

Well done, your dedication to this is unparalleled :clap::clap::clap:
Looks mighty impressive too.
And like @NoSloppy said… take a well deserved break.

2 Likes

In theory, how would power consumption stack up against something like a KR stick?

2 Likes

Thanks everyone!

As for the current. Running one color uses 6.12A…so 18A for white, although I will probably derate any white colors to a lower brightness.

1 Like

So not much more than a normal blade? Are they smaller pixels?

1 Like

The pixels are rated at 12mA per die, so 36mA when the LED is set to white. There are 510 pixels in the blade…as opposed to ~260 for a normal neopixel blade.

They are much smaller physically than a normal 0505 pixel.

1 Like

No dice on repairing the dead pixels.

Has anyone ever tried this:

1 Like