Missing categories?

It would be great if trusted users could apply them too though.
Often the author of a topic isn’t the one who decides if something is “helpful” or not.

1 Like

Agreed. I found those links above, but that’s all TL3 stuff. I don’t see anything that shows how to grant that ability individually by user. Seems Discourse is all about categorization/grouping.

I find the default discourse setup to be very weird.
But it seemed like the best board software available.

I know they use it for Micro Motor Warehouse and it works well for them. I don’t think they utilize anything other than categories, though.

Do we want an announcements category or something that declares new products or whatnot?

I know this is treacherous territory and I can see both sides of this: as a hilt designer I want to be able to announce upcoming designs or runs for us, but I ALSO don’t want this forum to become a cadre of run-mongers…

Would love to hear thoughts around this one.

1 Like

I think I’m fine with people announcing stuff in whatever forum is the most appropriate.
So hilts could be announced in the “saber” category, and fonts could be announced in the “sound fonts” category, etc. However, spamming and posting just to get stuff up to the top again will not be tolerated.

We’ll see how much of that stuff there is and how annoying it is.
Putting it in a separate part of the forum seems silly, because nobody will see it.
If we don’t like it we should just get rid of it.

I definitely like this approach

Blade style sharing thread?

3 Likes

Sound like something that could be a sub-category, maybe under “proffieos”.

2 Likes

Yeah agreed. I was testing the tags and added helpful to it.

3D printing would be a helpful topic.
I’ve recently purchased a 3D printer for printing my own chassis designs and I admit it has been hard to find threads elsewhere to discuss with people their experiences, tips etc

I was wondering. @profezzorn would a tutorial section be worth while as a sub-topic. E.g. ProffieOS/ Tutorial

BUILD / tutorials

I would love to see a run down of say how the prop files work

Or

F.A.Q. posts

I have been considering something like that, but I don’t know if it’s better to use tags for it or have specific categories for it.

1 Like

How about “Diagnostics” but it’s read and only authorized user replies?

Like what we are working on with this hum staying on. You have the lead topic and they’re there if someone has the same issue that can join in to assist so more eyes and minds are on it?

For now I like the way we switched to but having others see what is being attended to may or may not be a benefit?

1 Like

^ See my reply.

Unfortunately it’s often very difficult to know if people are having the same problem or not. Sometimes this is is because different problems can lead to different symptoms, and sometimes it’s because people aren’t good at describing the issue they are having, or what might have caused it.

I think it’s best if each person starts their own thread and describes their own problems. Then I (or someone else on this board) helps them, and if the thread might be helpful to other people, we should use the “solved” checkmark and “helpful” tag to make it so that other people can find those answers and use them.

When multiple people with similar (but different) problems post in the same thread, the result are usually very confusing.

On a related note, we should also try to keep threads on topic and discourage thread-hijacking.

1 Like

True. That does make sense.

so let me write this up.

TAGs:
Tutorials
How To’s
Beta Testing

Categories:
F.A.Q (read only)

I’m not familiar with the star system or the permissions but maybe have a specific merit award that gives access to specific tags like the above.

I would also consider have mods for specific categories.

you got a lot on your plate @profezzorn last thing you need is administrating a whole forum on top of that.

1 Like