Lightsaber Blade material idea

I was watching some light saber duels on YouTube this weekend, and one thing that stood out to me was the “clack” sound from the plastic blades hitting each other. They’re much louder than the sounds coming from the hilts we’ve spent good money on. Why haven’t we invented a blade made out of a softer exterior surface? It would be a perfect material, because it would protect from breakage, it would diffuse the LED’s pretty efficiently (assuming your using LED strips for your blade) and it would prevent the “clack” noise that is so annoying me. Just throwin’ that out there!

Downsides would be additional cost, fitment issues once you get down to where the blade meets the hilt, and a much bouncier dueling experience.

How about just a clear shrink wrap layer?

Saber screen protectors. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wouldn’t be enough cushion to absorb the “clack” noise.

Oh wait, yes you’re on to something, sorry I didnt read close enough. Someone sent me a link to this:

Kable Kontrol Heat Shrink Tubing - 2:1 Shrink Ratio - 1-1/4” Inch Diameter - 10’ Feet Long - Clear - Polyolefin Heat Shrinkable Tubing - Single Wall - Electrical Insulation Tube - 600V https://www.amazon.com/dp/B091J7WTQ9/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_6S7MFW5043B1HBG5NFHT?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Gonna buy some and test it out on a spare blade I have.

1 Like

Silicone might be better and more durable.
Not sure where to find thin silicone tubing though, most silicone tubing is pretty thick.

Check out that stuff in the link above. The guy who sent it to me says he uses it for his blade tips and that it’s pretty durable. Don’t see a reason why one couldn’t just put it on the length of the blade, shrink it up and call it good. Just don’t know if it’s gonna 1. Add too much weight or 2. Be absorbent enough to get rid of the dreaded “CLACK” noise that annoys me so much.

did you get time to try this out in the end?

Have not had time to order the stuff yet.