Does Blade ID switch to the same preset in a list, or does it start from the first?

Okay, I’ve got a blade detect pin set up, as well as two interchangeable blades, each with a Blade ID and their own list of presets. I also have NO_BLADE set with its own list of presets.

Let’s assume that I’m using the same list of sound fonts for each blade, and the difference between the preset lists for each blade is solely in the blade styles (to accommodate different length blades, for instance).

If I have a blade connected, and I switch to the third preset, and I remove the blade and connect a different blade, will ProffieOS load the third preset for the second blade, or will it start from the first preset for that blade?

You need to have “#define SAVE_PRESET” on your config file and set a different save directory for each preset.

{ NO_BLADE,
		WS281XBladePtr<120, bladePin, Color8::GRB, PowerPINS<bladePowerPin2, bladePowerPin3> >(),
		SubBladeWithStride(0, 15, 2, WS281XBladePtr<16, blade2Pin, Color8::GRB, PowerPINS<bladePowerPin2, bladePowerPin3> >()),
		SubBladeWithStride(1, 15, 2, NULL),
		CONFIGARRAY(presetnoblade),
		"nb_save"     			//You can add a directory to save state for each blade.
	}

First of all; blade styles really ought to work for any blade length, so you shouldn’t have to change blade styles when for different blades.

Second; if you add save directories as baldusi suggests, you can use the same save directory for the two different blades. If you do that, then saving with one blade will also affect the other. If you pick separate save directories, then they will be separate. Either way, you should definitely have a separate save directory for the NO_BLADE entry.

blade styles really ought to work for any blade length, so you shouldn’t have to change blade styles when for different blades.

Well, one of my blades is actually a neopixel-to-tricree conversion module. I intend to use it like a blade plug, and to the Proffieboard it just looks like a blade with a single neopixel. The colors for each preset are the same, but the styles are different because I want it to behave differently during clashes, blaster blocks, etc.

if you add save directories as baldusi suggests, you can use the same save directory for the two different blades. If you do that, then saving with one blade will also affect the other.

Will this work with SAVE_COLOR as well? I actually really like the idea of changing the base color of the blade on one blade and having that change still be present on the corresponding preset of the other blade as well, but if the two blades have different blade styles, will that even work?

Either way, you should definitely have a separate save directory for the NO_BLADE entry.

Why not use the same save directory for NO_BLADE as well? I was intending to be able to activate sound when there’s no blade attached, so keeping the presets lined up even when there’s no blade present would be a good thing.

Here’s my current config, for reference:
caiwyn.h (35.4 KB)

It will sort of work.
If you use EDIT_MODE, the same arguments will be applied to the two different styles, and since most edit mode arguments have the same meaning regardless of the style, it will work, but it won’t look quite the same.

Color change would also work, but since it’s based on color wheel rotation, it would be weird if the two styles don’t have the same base color.

I should make this more clear.
If your NO_BLADE entry is similar (either using the same preset array, or using the same number of presets, but with slight tweaks.) then it makes a lot of sense to have the same save directory for the NO_BLADE entry.

If you have different number of presets, or if the presets are just completely different in the NO_BLADE entry, then you should also have a separate save directory. Since this seems to be how your config it set up, that’s what I suggested.

1 Like

If you use EDIT_MODE, the same arguments will be applied to the two different styles, and since most edit mode arguments have the same meaning regardless of the style, it will work, but it won’t look quite the same.

Color change would also work, but since it’s based on color wheel rotation, it would be weird if the two styles don’t have the same base color.

I don’t intend to enable EDIT_MODE (except as a temporary way to adjust basic thresholds to my liking if necessary), just the standard color change. Since I’m using the same number of presets with the same colors for both blades, it sounds like this is a workable solution!

If your NO_BLADE entry is similar (either using the same preset array, or using the same number of presets, but with slight tweaks.) then it makes a lot of sense to have the same save directory for the NO_BLADE entry.

Awesome, thank you for the clarification!