Crossguard config just 2 blades?

I recently got a cal cross guard with a proffie 3.9. The config they sent indicates it having 2 blades. can this be correct? there are also accent LEDs that shine through the hilt. I would have thought the config should indicate 4 blades: one for main, two for cross guard, and one for pommel. the seller assured me it is correct. I’m afraid to edit the board and lose the cross guard. any thoughts? thanks. here’s the config:

I would just make a test preset to verify what’s what.
Something like

{ "Test", "",
    StylePtr<Red>(),
    StylePtr<Blue>(), "test"},

According to your BladeConfig, your main blade is set to 128 pixels and “2nd” blade is 30.

It is not uncommon to wire the cross guard quillons in parallel as one blade, but based on the code, it seems like the accents are not isolated as their own blade.

So, do you think it is the wrong config, then? I’m still a lowly newb, so I’m afraid to change anything out of fear I won’t be able to get it back. It works great already. I just mainly wanted to increase the volume and lower the sensitivity threshold. Maybe add some blade styles. But it’s not worth it if it’s going to crash the whole thing or make the side blades not work, you know?

None of that is going to happen, and you shouldn’t be afraid to edit stuff.
First and foremost, just make sure you have a copy of the config file as it is right now. You can always go back to that, so there’s 100% no worries.
Secondly, I suggested just adding a preset. That doesn’t change anything at all. The only thing that does is allow you to look at which blades are your 2 blades (one will be Red, the other will be Blue).
My guess is that your main blade shows up Red, and everything else shows up blue.
If that’s how the saber is wired, there’s nothing you can really do to change it so that the sideblades, accents, pommel etc… are isolated as their own blades other than rewiring it.

Do a backup before experimenting:

Awesome. I was wondering if there was a way to do this. I wish there was a way to plug the board in and access the config somehow so you could store that as a .h file.

Thank you for taking the time to answer. The problem is that I don’t know if I have the current config or not. That’s kind of the whole problem. It arrived configured and set up, and the config I posted is the one on the sd card. That is the only one I have. I was skeptical when seeing the two blades. Also, the fonts are all the same as the sd card, but in a different order than it is configured now. Not a big deal but obviously not an identical config. I was trying to ensure that it wasn’t accidentally the wrong config.

Professorn gave me a tip on how to create a backup in case it does goof it up, though, so I will probably check that out.

The order of the folders on the SD card isn’t relevant to the order of the fonts in the config. You can sort your folders by name, date modified, etc… As long as everything in the config has a counterpart on your SD, you are fine. Chances are if everything in the config is also on the SD, you have the correct config.

1 Like

Thanks. I was speaking of the order in the config, though, not on the card. Those are in order, right?

The order on your saber will match the config, if it’s the same config.

That’s what I thought. It doesn’t. That was part of what made me nervous. All the files match on the sd card, though. There are a few extra fonts, but all the blade styles have corresponding font files on the card. I think really just need to learn to do the backup that Profezzorn mentioned earlier in this thread. If I did that with all my sabers, it’d save me a lot of anxiety when flashing the board for the first time.

Your config looks like the 89Sabers universal config. I have the 89Sabers Cal Crossguard with their universal chassis–the mainblade and crossguard are in parallel on data pin 1, along with the internal buttons. you can assign the first 15 LEDs using subblade to a separate blade to control the crossguard and the base of the blade (and the buttons). the pommel led’s are on pin 2.

I’ve reconfigured my config with 3 blades–until I rewire it.

BladeConfig blades[] = {
 { 0, 
    SubBlade(0, 14, WS281XBladePtr<144, bladePin, Color8::GRB, PowerPINS<bladePowerPin2, bladePowerPin3> >()), //Crossguard and emitter
    SubBlade(15, 143, NULL), //main blade
    WS281XBladePtr<32, blade2Pin, Color8::GRB, PowerPINS<bladePowerPin4, bladePowerPin5> >(), //pommel 
   CONFIGARRAY(presets) },
};

Awesome. Thanks for taking the time to see the connection. So, if I understand what you’re saying: this config will work fine with the cross guard blades, but they will just mirror what the main blade does. That’s why only two blades. For each side blade to register as its own blade, the board would have to be setup differently with each side blade soldered to a separate pin. That would allow independent control and thus would have 4 blades in the config (including pommel).

Is that right? Thanks again. I feel like such a newb on here! :laughing: Slowly getting better.

Thanks everyone for your help. The config was correct. I was able to get everything all set up and working. Added some blade styles, too. I couldn’t get tip drag or melt to work, but then I realized the config file was missing the define that the board was flipped. I added the “usb towards blade” define and it works perfectly now. I was pretty proud of myself for that one, lol. Thanks again.

2 Likes