Color display progress

You need the super secret additional board URL for the Arduino preference page ;).
I’m not at my computer at the moment but it just has “experimental” added to it.

The URL is:
https://profezzorn.github.io/arduino-proffieboard/package_proffieboard_experimental_index.json

Add that to the board manager, and you’ll have the option to install the v4.0 plugin.

1 Like

Thank you!

I tried this and got the following error:

In file included from C:\Users\vicms\Desktop\ProffieOS-v7.8\ProffieOS\ProffieOS.ino:1554:
C:\Users\vicms\Desktop\ProffieOS-v7.8\ProffieOS\config\my_saber_config8.h:52:1: error: ‘SPIDisplay_DFRobot096’ does not name a type
52 | SPIDisplay_DFRobot096<3> display;
| ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
C:\Users\vicms\Desktop\ProffieOS-v7.8\ProffieOS\config\my_saber_config8.h:53:1: error: ‘StandarColorDisplayController’ does not name a type
53 | StandarColorDisplayController<160, 80> display_controller(&display);
| ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

exit status 1

Compilation error: ‘SPIDisplay_DFRobot096’ does not name a type

Config file:

my_saber_config8.h (10.0 KB)

You need ProffieOS from github for this. ProffieOS 7.8 will not do.

Done, it complied and was able to program the board, but LCD is not working, also accent pixels connected to Data3 stopped working and blade detect connected to Button3 pad is not behaving as it does when screen is not configured, normally when I take the crystal out it makes a beep, when I plug it back it plays the font intro. However, when the screen is configured, it plays the font intro whether I plug or unplug the crystal.

Accent neo pixels connected to Data 4 and the blade connected to Data 1 work fine.

I tried placing the 160x80 folder in both the common folder and in the font folder.

If you do show some_file.pqf, does it show something?

What version of arduino-proffieboard do you have?
If you have 4.x, I think Data3 ought to work.
If that is already what you are using, then I need to do some checking.

This one is new to me. Maybe I can investigate this weekend.
The only difference is the display, right? (No changes in blades[])

Have you tried using effects in the serial monitor to see if the files were found?

In serial monitor?
If so, I just did it, ‘show some_file.pqf ‘ and also tried it with ‘show logo.pqf ’ and it says they were not found.

And I added the folder with the pqf files in common and the font folders.

Yes, I’m using 4.x. Data3 is being used for Neopixel accents, for the LCD I’m using Data2 as suggested in one of your previous posts.

Yes, the only difference is the display

Yes, and while I was testing I realized the font folder I put the display folder was the one assigned to the no_blade preset, so I also added it to the blade_in presents sound folder and it shows:
Found 160x80/ idle.scr
Found 160x80/ font.scr
Found 160x80/ boot.scr

And now the accent LEDs just go crazy blinking in all colors.

Still nothing on the screen.

Blade detect still behaves weird as stated before.

You’ll need to give the full path, so if the files are in common, then you would do show common/160x80/logo.pqf

I’m back in the US, and will probably have some pretty severe jet lag this weekend, but hopefully I’ll have some time to take a closer look at this stuff.

No problem, my saber is mostly working except for the screen, which can take whatever it takes.

I did some more testing to try an isolate the issue, I disabled the blades that use data3 and data4 to see if there was some kind of interference, and the neopixels connected to data3 still blink here and there, even when they are supposed to not turn on.
I wondered if data3 was being used by the display driver somehow?

I do have an extra v3 board and display, so if there are any kind of tests you’d like me to perform with them, let me know.

Also, about the blade detect pin, I think it’s working properly, it does change to the proper sound font accordingly, so no need to spend time on that.

Wait, what pins do you have connected to the display exactly?
data3 is the main data output for the display, so it cannot be used for neopixels.

I have it connected this way:

Well, this is wrong (my fault).
Pretty sure that’s supposed to be Data3.
I’ll double-check the rest when I get home tonight.

PS: I edited the post earlier in this thread to hopefully prevent people from finding it and using Data2 in the future.

Oh well! :laughing:

So far it’d be two wires I’d have to swap, just let me know about the rest so I do all the swapping in one go, if necessary.

It looks like the rest are correct.

Maybe this other post should be edited too ?

No, that would just confuse the discussion. If people read that deep into the thread they should have some idea of what is going on.

Once ProffieOS 8.x is out, I’ll add support for color displays in the configuration generator, which will make things easier.

2 Likes

Alright!

It was a combination of things:

1. I had to swap data2 with data3

2. the screen was damaged and had to replace it.

It looks awesome!
I can’t wait for it to be fully supported!!

A few observations, not complains of course, just reporting what I have experienced so far.

• The screen does not always boot up. Some times I need to turn on and off the saber several times for the screen to work.

• With the neopixel accents (38 total) fps looks smooth, but when I ignite it and it the proffieboard has to drive the extra 144 neopixels, it slows down noticeably, the crystal on the screen seems to get brighter but can’t really see clashes as they happen, I’m not sure if it’s because of the decrease in frame rate.

That’s it so far. I’ll report if I come across anything else.

1 Like

Does it help to compile with optimization on?