CLASH_THRESHOLD_G setting not "working"

What if you add

#define AUDIO_CLASH_SUPPRESSION_LEVEL 1

The default is 10, which is fairly low, but even a low audio clash suppression level could be significant compared to a clash threshold of 0.5.

1 Like

I’ll try 1, 10, 20, 50.

On a separate note, do you think I should try rolling back to ProffieOS 6.9?

Not really, but it can be interesting to compare.

That worked! CLASH_THRESHOLD_G 0.5 and AUDIO_CLASH_SUPPRESSION_LEVEL 1 is just right.

Thanks so much. What do you think the issue is? I’ve tried lowering the volume to min, thinking it was speaker interference and that didn’t fix it.

Ok, so there are multiple things going on here.

1. AUDIO_CLASH_SUPPRESSION_LEVEL uses the volume level calculated by the dynamic compressor. However, this happens before the final volume adjustment, which is probably not how we actually want it to work, because that means that if your volume is low, the adjustment is too high, and if your volume is high, the adjustment is too low.
  2. AUDIO_CLASH_SUPPRESSION_LEVEL is independent of CLASH_THRESHOLD_G, which is probably also not what we want. The default value ends up increasing CLASH_THRESHOLD_G by about 1 when a loud font is playing. For someone who has a CLASH_TRESHOLD_G set to 5, changing it to 6 makes a fairly small difference. For someone who has CLASH_THRESHOLD_G set to 0.5, it makes a huge difference. AUDIO_CLASH_SUPPRESSION_LEVEL should probably be a multiplier instead.
  3. It’s weird and and unusual to set CLASH_THRESHOLD_G as low as 0.5. I’m not sure why such a low value works well for you, but doing so is what exposed the problems with the AUDIO_CLASH_SUPPRESSION_LEVEL.
1 Like