Blade dimly lit and stays on after retraction

Hi all,

I just finished installing a v3.9 with os7.1 on a Korbanth VeeTwo hilt. Due to the design of the hilt, I had to use two Shtok v3 hilt connectors in v2 config. When testing without a blade, shtok and crystal chamber lights up completely fine. However, once I add my blade (133 LEDs), it would light up very dim. After retraction, it would stay lit until I kill the power. I’ve confirmed my blades are working fine with my other lightsabers (although they are on proffie v2). I’ve tried increasing my max LEDs from 133 to 165 as Shtok manual instructed I should add 16 LEDs for each connector (i have two shtok connectors for this build). I scoured the configuration files and I am not sure what I am missing. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Please let me know if you need additional details.

Attached is my config file.
ROTJ_default.h (29.4 KB)

Blade would ignite like in the photo and would remain lit after retraction until I kill the power.

Problem #1:

WS281XBladePtr<165, bladePin, Color8::GRB, PowerPINS<bladePowerPin3 > >(),

Do you really only have one FET hooked up to your blade?
If yes, that could be the problem.
If no, you should fix the blade definition to include all the FETs.

Problem #2

WS281XBladePtr<1, blade2Pin, Color8::GRB, PowerPINS<bladePowerPin4, 5 > >(),

Putting a “5” here is wrong. I think maybe you meant bladePowerPin5, but do you really have to FETs hooked up to a single neopixel?

#1 - Forgot to mention that I originally ran two 24 awg wires on two FETs. I rewired with a single 22awg thinking the two 24awg was not able to carry enough current. Am I ok to add the 2nd FET with a single 22awg wire?

#2 - this was part of my unsuccessful troubleshooting. I rewired the two neopixels for the CC into their own FETs.

Even if you have a single wire, it should still be hooked up to two FETs on the proffieboard.

1 Like

Got it, I’ll give that a try tomorrow. Many thanks for your advice!!

Also read this:

1 Like

Use one 22AWG wire and bridge the two pads on the board.

1 Like

Thank you @profezzorn and @astromech! Your advice worked flawlessly.

Looks great! Nice choice of hilt!