Arduino "Cannot open DFU Error"

Hello,

Im fairly new to the world of font-installation. I actually was trying to follow along with a tutorial video from Lando Sabers when I got to around 25min in to a portion where he instructs you to Verify your config file after editing it.

I ensured I had the correct name of my config defined and as of current the build I believe my Sabertrio is on is ProffieV3. However once I select verify I receive the following error ->>

In file included from C:\Users\Lurkai\Desktop\Saber Stuff\Proffie Software\ProffieOS-v6.7\ProffieOS\ProffieOS.ino:566:
C:\Users\Lurkai\Desktop\Saber Stuff\Proffie Software\ProffieOS-v6.7\ProffieOS\config\s3config.h:31:9: fatal error: ../props/s3button_config.h: No such file or directory
   31 | #include"../props/s3button_config.h"
      |         ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.

exit status 1

Compilation error: ../props/s3button_config.h: No such file or directory
``````

I've ensured I opened the correct ProffieOS folder/.INO file along with making sure my custom Sabertrio config file was in the appropriate folder, so I'm unsure on how to correct this error.

Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated, thank you!! :)

**And while it's not solely related I'd like to add that before following Lando Sabers tutorial, I had followed another one by Zachary Jolly where I got to connecting my saber w/ the SD still inside to my computer which resulted in it chiming the USB connecting and USB disconnecting sounds. I had attempted a re-flash of my Proffie board which caused the STM32 BOOTLOADER device to show up and the constant disconnect/reconnect to stop...but after trying to re-connect my saber the connect/disconnect issue occurred again. I'm unsure if this is partially related to my main issue above, but if there are any threads I can quickly find on this, help would also be appreciated.

Arduino can’t find the prop file at the location you’ve specified. Either the name is wrong or the file is missing.

Make sure you have file extensions enabled if you’re on Windows and double check the file.

s3button_config.h is a file that doesn’t come with ProffieOS, it is a sabertrio prop file, and you would need to get it from them. (Or use a different prop file.)

To select a different prop file, see here:

I thankfully had copied my entire Sabertrio folder to my desktop but I was able to find the “s3button_config.h” file

However after copying this into my ProffieOS (6.7 folder btw) and attempting a Verify It came out with the following>>

Compilation error: 'DisplaySoundLevel' was not declared in this scope; did you mean 'NoisySoundLevel'?

There is also a host of other errors pertaining to “did you mean” type changes, so I’m unsure what may be happening when trying to Verify this config file

Okay so I believe I was able to fix my Arduino error by going the opposite route and adding the “prop_base.h” file into my Vektra’s ProffieOS folder.
Im now getting the normal “Sketch uses 195552 bytes (74%) of program storage space. Maximum is 262144 bytes” message which Ive been told is common when Verifying. I am also using Proffie V2 as of now in Arduino

While I can edit my Vektra config and individually load it unto my MicroSD card no problem, my only issue Im sure I may run into now is actually getting my Vektra to connect to my computer. I seem to still be running into the constant connect/disconnect.
The “Proffieboard” device shows up under Unidentified but then blips out. My attempts at reflashing the board are semi-successful as the constant connect/disconnect stop, but once i re-seat my USB cable into the computer or Saber then same issue reoccurs.
My board isnt fried as i can still use the saber, but im unsure exactly what is causing this

That’s weird. Why would you need to do that?

DIsplaySoundLevel is not a thing in ProffieOS, and you didn’t provide the whole error, so I’m not able to help with it in any way.

This might be a computer probllem, a cable problem, a software problem, or possibly a bad board.

Here are a few things to try:

• try a different USB cable
  • try a simple config file to see if it works better (just use the configurator to generate a simple one.)
  • get a clean ProffieOS, use a simple config file and do not use the s3 prop, does it work better?
  • Do you have mass storage on in arduino->tools->usb type? Does it work better if you turn it off?
  • If you put the board into bootloader mode by holding BOOT, pressing and releasing RESET, does uploads then work reliably?

Regarding the “Prop_base” fix, I had attempted verifying my Sabertrio config in Arduino which gave and error that it was missing that file in the Props folder, so I copied it from my Proffie6.7 folder and then Verifying went just fine minus this error here ->>

“c:/users/lurkai/appdata/local/arduino15/packages/proffieboard/tools/arm-none-eabi-gcc/9-2020-q2-update/bin/…/lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/9.3.1/…/…/…/…/arm-none-eabi/bin/ld.exe:C:\Users\Lurkai\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\proffieboard\hardware\stm32l4\3.6\variants\STM32L433CC-ProffieboardV2/linker_scripts/STM32L433CC_FLASH.ld:224: warning: memory region `SRAM2’ not declared”

Also apologies for not including the full error regarding the DisplaySoundLevel error, I could probably uploaded it within a Note file.

At this juncture now however, I do seem to be running into the connect/disconnect issue. I have tried both the Sabertrio USB cable that was provided as well as one i just recently got from Amazon for this purpose.
I’m unsure exactly how to test out a sample config or using a fresh ProffieOS for testing my board connecting to my PC.
I’ve also put my board into STM Bootloader mode BUT, while I see it in my Devices and Printers on my computer…i cannot access the saber folders nor do any Ports or connections show in Arduino, despite me having my Tool settings correct (ProffieV2, Serial+MassStorage, Programmer=STM32Bootloader)

If this is the case of a bad board then I would be very disappointed as this would be my second Sabertrio saber which has had some form of defect out the box. Though im hopeful this can be resolved

This is normal while the board is in bootloader mode.
While in bootloader mode, you don’t need a port to program the board, upload will work anyways. After you program it, it will go back to normal.

PS, for more information about how bootloader mode works, you may want to read this page:

1 Like

Oh, and this is not an error, it is a warning.
Also, it is quite normal when programming proffieboards unfortunately.

In the case of it being in Bootloader mode, would it be alright for me to select “Upload” even though Im not seeing anything in Arduino?

oh i see, thank you for letting me know! still getting accustomed to all the messages it spits out

Yes, clicking upload should work even though there is no port if the board is in bootloader mode.

So i had a small success in that once i hit upload, it went through but gave an error at the end which read >> “Cannot open DFU device 0483:df11”

I did a small bit of looking this up and it seems i need to re-flash my board and THEN select upload once more? Or is there a specific manner in which i need to for updating my proffie board post-flash?

FYI, storing your config file on the SD card is just that. Storage. It is not accessed from there by the system at all. It’s literally just a backup copy for convenience.
The config gets read from the ProffieOS/config folder during compiling.

Start at the beginning.
Did you connect the board via USB, manually boot it in bootloader, then use Zadig to install the driver on the PC for STM32BOOTLOADER?

When I first was following along with the tutorial I did not perform any manual boot into Bootloader mode.
I had performed the STM32 Bootloader mode method only after I began encountering the USB connect/disconnect issue. From there I did install the driver using Zadig, however I failed to continue and select Upload while Arduino was open as I was unware you could do this until recent.

I had gone thru a STM32 Bootloader reinstall loop until Profezzorn noted I could select Upload directly after performing the reinstall.

Once I had done this, my saber is now able to connect to my PC normally and I am able to see the files as well as Proffieboard in Devices. However instead of showing STM32 Bootloader in Device Manager, it shows as CDC Data which I’m unsure if that is specific to Sabertrio or not.
At this juncture now, while I have put the additional font folder in my SD Card, edited my config to also include the blade-style and Verified the config successfully…when going to Upload this to my ProffieV2 board I am getting a “Cannot open DFU device 0483:df11” error at the very end.

If you’re getting this after the upload is done, then you’re fine.
If you’re getting it before the upload starts, and no upload happens, then you’re not.

I did get the error at the end, but when ejecting my saber after it comes back, Im still unable to get to my 19th font I added

is this a result of not running Zadig the first time around?

No.
Do you have KEEP_SAVEFILES_WHEN_PROGRAMMING in your config file?