Airsoft Bomb Prop implementation

Hi to everybody! I know I’ve been missing for a year or so, but had to deal with some health issues that luckily seem to be past me. I want to make a prop bomb for airsoft games (think of the CounterStike bomb) but implemented on a Proffie since I have so many lying around.
The issue is that for usability purposes, I would like to use a 12V siren to mark the important events (bomb arming, disarming, timer running out). So I would like to:

1. Feed the board 5V via a step-down converter, but I’m not sure how to connect the MOSFET to feed the 12V siren.
  2. The other issue is that I don’t know how much does a board with a full speaker consumes.

Any pointers?

1 Like
  1. Proffieboards can directly control 12v components, just hook up the negative side to one of the LED pads.
  2. A 1A step-down is probably enough, although you may get a little crackling if you crank the speaker. A 2A step-down should avoid that I would think.

Do you really need a siren though? An amplifier of some sort would let you change the sound any way you want to.

Also, welcome back.
Live long and prosper!

2 Likes
  1. But the negative comes from the step down. That wouldn’t be a problem to feed it to the siren?
  2. It’s a 126dB siren. Airsoft fields are huge and I need people in different buildings (the are no glasses in windows) to know when the prop was armed, disarmed and exploded. I haven’t found an easy and cheap solution for generating that kind of sound.

For this to work, there must be a common ground between the 5v and 12v circuits. Normally this is how a step-down converter works though. The input ground and output ground are connected, which means they are the same thing.