Adapting pixel bladestyles for a RGB adapter

I just got delivery of a Shtok NeoCree adapter, and was wondering if anyone has any experience with getting bladestyles working with one. Basically, none of the responsive stuff (obviously) will work, and colour mixing is slightly different.

You’ll have to remove all “shapes”. Simplest approach would be to replace all instances of Bump<> or SmoothStep<> with Int<32768>. Otherwise, you’ll need to replace all AlphaL<> with a full blade style.

1 Like

Crystal chamber styles that respond to all effects are usually full blade based, since it’s typically one pixel.
Something like this: (Click to see in the style editor then hit the ‘Inhilt’ button)

StylePtr<Layers<
  AudioFlicker<RotateColorsX<Variation,Blue>,RotateColorsX<Variation,Rgb<0,0,128>>>,
  TransitionEffectL<TrConcat<TrFade<600>,RandomFlicker<RotateColorsX<Variation,Blue>,RotateColorsX<Variation,Rgb<0,0,160>>>,TrDelay<3000>,RotateColorsX<Variation,Blue>,TrFade<800>>,EFFECT_FORCE>,
  TransitionEffectL<TrConcat<TrInstant,White,TrFade<400>>,EFFECT_CLASH>,
  TransitionEffectL<TrConcat<TrInstant,White,TrFade<400>>,EFFECT_BLAST>,
  LockupL<AudioFlicker<White,Blue>,AudioFlicker<Yellow,SteelBlue>,Int<32768>,Int<32768>,Int<32768>>,
  TransitionEffectL<TrConcat<TrInstant,White,TrFade<500>>,EFFECT_LOCKUP_END>,
  TransitionEffectL<TrConcat<TrInstant,White,TrFade<500>>,EFFECT_DRAG_END>,
  LockupTrL<Pulsing<BrownNoiseFlicker<Red,Black,300>,Yellow,2000>,TrFade<300>,TrFade<300>,SaberBase::LOCKUP_MELT>,
  InOutTrL<TrConcat<TrInstant,White,TrSmoothFade<1000>>,TrConcat<TrSmoothFade<500>,White,TrSmoothFade<500>>>>>()

Good call! Figured you might have some guidance!

Thanks both!

The old-fashioned lockup styles automatically drops the shapes if there is only one pixel.
It wouldn’t be overly difficult to do something like that for newer styles as well if it would be helpful…

2 Likes

The adapters don’t change pixel numbers though. I think styles need to be full blade.

The style posted works well, but I’m getting new issues… One is that the hilt side NPXL connector does a weird red flashing thing when off, and another is that with the cree adapter in, I get ghost gestures setting off all sorts. Ignitions, retractions, music playing…

They can potentially change the pixel numbers using blade id.
Not sure if they have a blade ID resistor in them though.
The builtin blade ID in ProffieOS may still be able to see the difference since it also measures the capacitance of the blade…

This is indeed how they are intended to work.
As per Dmitry, “it has a 50k or 55k ID resistor built-in”
So you’d set up a dedicated preset bank triggered by Blade ID when the adapter is inserted.

Where is this written about the resistor? Is there some documentation for the adapter? Also, is there documentation about blade ID?

Treat the NeoCree high power led module as 1 RGB pixel (1st pixel in the neopixel blade strip).

It does indeed work with bladeID. I got one myself and this is how I set it up (also with the help of @NoSloppy and @ShtokyD, last year) :

BladeConfig blades[] = {
{ 53424, // blade id
      WS281XBladePtr<1, bladePin, Color8::GRB, PowerPINS<bladePowerPin2, bladePowerPin3> >(), // config for triCree adapter
      WS281XBladePtr<16, blade2Pin, Color8::GRB, PowerPINS<bladePowerPin2, bladePowerPin3> >(), // config for npxl connector (chassis)
      SimpleBladePtr<CH3LED, NoLED, NoLED, NoLED, bladePowerPin6, -1, -1, -1>(), // config for bluetooth LED
      SimpleBladePtr<CreeXPE2WhiteTemplate<550>, NoLED, NoLED, NoLED, bladePowerPin1, -1, -1, -1>(), // config for button LED
      CONFIGARRAY(bladein),
      "02_tricreeadapter_save" 
   }
};

Hope that helps.

Oh cool. Do you have any bladestyles you can recommend?

Anything solid and simple (e.g. with an audio flicker) seems to work.
Probably a good idea would be to only use full blade clash and lock effects, but I don’t bother with that too much.

I mainly use it, when I want to safely “duel” with friends. So I don’t have to worry about breaking my neopixel blades.

So I don’t really have any extra ones and use the same I use for my neopixels.

Cheers. Have you had any issues with weird ghost gestures? That’s my main issue.

Could you elaborate on that? What kind of ghost gestures?
Can’t remember having issues exclusively for the adapter.

I’ll try to get a video later and make a new post about it. It’s super weird.