Ultrasaber made their own implementation: UltraProffie

Third strike is being OK working with US in the first place…

2 Likes

If the Prof says it’s cool to do your thing here then it’s his dojo and we work around it.

As the wise Jar Jar might day:

‘ooh maxi big da ultraproffie. Wellen dat smells stinkawhiff.’

1 Like

Sorry you feel this way, I’m not gonna argue on opinions but please stay true to the truth and acknowledge that:

1. We’re 100% compliant with the open-source license
  2. The seller who’s providing a warranty is entitled to establish the warranty terms

We’re here with the goal and hope to share technical knowledge and ideas with the Proffie community, and although I’m not sure how your strikes would fit into that picture, you can count on our openness to this purpose.

Marius.

1 Like

Let’s see how your actions (and your “sellers”) play out going forward. “Compliance” and “Intent” are two very different things.
Adopting the “Proffie” name without ever consulting profezzorn show the intent of using the popularity and recognition of the Proffieboard, especially given US’s long established reputation in the saber community.
In my book you don’t get “credit” for joining this community AFTER being called out by the person who’s name you took without permission. You earn it by contributing and what you do in the community.
I reserve the right to change my mind (or have it changed by your actions), the “strikes” just mean you have to earn trust to get out from “behind the count”.
I’ll be cordial the rest of the way out, but I still don’t trust your seller’s intention in this part of the community.

4 Likes

I’ve had a look at some of the Ultrasabers resources on this, and I’m slightly puzzled by it all…

Maybe I’m being naive, and without getting in to the rights and wrongs of Ultrasabers piggybacking off the Proffieboard’s hardware, software and overall success, I’m not sure why you’ve gone to the trouble of making a kind of new variant of the Proffieboard and system?

Quite a few manufacturers now offer Proffieboard installed sabers (Sabertrio and LGT are two big ones that spring to mind) but none have felt the need to move drastically away from the core Proffie hardware and software. Sure they might tweak the prop file a bit and build their own config and blade styles, but as far as I’m aware, every Proffie installed saber to date allows the end user to access the wealth of resources currently available to learn and do as much or as little as they want in terms of customizing.

I assume the majority of Ultrasabers’ buyers simply want a turn-key saber that they can switch on, swing around, and change the blade colour and sound font. I doubt a very high percentage want to make significant changes, as the kind of people who do want to make big changes would already - without any disrespect to anyone - be looking beyond the limits of Ultrasabers for their electronics.

The Proffieboard in its standard form can meet the needs of most US customers in its sleep! Thirty or more sound fonts, all with user selectable blade colours and a range of different styles can be setup very easily - and indeed that’s exactly what other large scale sellers that fit Proffies into their hilts already do.

So why bother trying to re-invent the wheel?

Why risk incurring the ire of many of the custom saber community who are already critical of Ultrasabers for various reasons?

Why not just talk to the professor as a courtesy before you start, then buy a load of Proffies, write a nice, flexible config and then just fit them in your hilts and sell them?

I don’t know much about business so maybe this is obvious to those that do, but what am I missing?

As I say, not looking for an argument on the rights and wrongs of it all - I’m just curious as to the reasons for going down the road you’ve chosen.

1 Like

I’m not going to go into the defense of Ultrasabers… but we have to consider a few things:

1. When this project was started was probably a year or more ago and availability was a huge issue. Ultra uses a much more available chip.
  2. They might have wanted some features we currently don’t offer, like deep sleep and no programmed styles.
  3. Ultrasabers might have wanted to have certain differentiating features.
  4. Ultrasabers might have wanted to make the whole package compatible with their standard connectors and install specifications and practices, something stock Proffie wasn’t able to do.
    And a more important item:
  5. RSX might have taken a job and performed it under Ultrasabers’ (the client) conditions, one of which might have been when to get out of stealth mode (i.e. interacting with the Proffie community included).
    I do think that UltraOS has some very interesting features that might get backported, or at least used as lesson to go into another direction in OS 8. After all, Proffie 3.7 and M2 are about to enter the market and having a clear path to at least deep sleep would be great. And being able to program the RAM from the SD card is also a very desirable feature in my book.
    Overall, I’m not surprised that the most heavy contributors to Proffie would feel abused by how this was done. But on the other hand, from my experience with corporate legal and IP standard operating procedures, it would seem to have been done by the letter but not the intent of the Proffie terms. And with some interaction we might get some much desired features. Or at least decide to change some terms.
4 Likes

This was my first thought. That said, in qualifying the customer before taking the gig, it’s usually a good idea to research enough to make sure the task isn’t making parts for the Death Star laser focusing dish.

2 Likes

On programme!

1 Like

Complaint with open source is posting all of the source code and board schematics. As in out in the open… AKA I can go and make an ultra proffie board all on my lonesome.

When I am done with my 2 versions of proffie board I will post everything so I am complaint.

I know you meant com-PLI-ant. It was a weird read at first though :slight_smile:

Well excuuuuuse meeeee!!! - Steve Martin…

I am very dyslexic. So my spelling is terribad. I literally have trouble telling the 2 appart. Dont get me started on frist and first… If it wasnt for the little red line wouldn’t know which is right. :rofl:

2 Likes

I would like to register a compliant…

That is a most excellent word, I might have to “borrow” that. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh please do. I pick up all sorts of fun words and saying from my transporters over the years

2 Likes

This is one of my handy reference links… I’ll repost it here for others. Somethings just never go away… (4) index - lightsabers (reddit.com)
Maybe search for “immoral business practices”