Tricorder

What format are these videos in today? And what do you use to show them? (Maybe I can “borrow” some code?)

All of these videos have a lot of common elements from frame to frame, and a lot of solid color elements which means that a simple format kind of like QOI should compress these videos quite well.

So if this kind of thing is what we want, then a lossless compressed video format would probably be what we want.

Looks amazingly perfect to me.

Spectacular!

So I desgined and implemented an image storage format for RGB565 images based on the QOI format, and in my tests it saves 50-75% of the data size based on the image. The idea is to reduce the amount of data we need to read from the SD card. Now, the V3 sd card reader is fairly fast, but the fastest I’ve seen it go is about 25 streams.

Raw 160x128@30Hz video is 1200kb/s, or ~14 streams. Using my format (which I call PQOI btw.) will reduce that to 5-7 streams or so, which is much better.

Between reading from the SD, decoding the data and writing it to the screen, I’m not quite sure what the maximum resolution screen a proffieboard could support is. It may be possible to go as high as 320x240, but at that point the Proffieboard wouldn’t have much time for anything else I would think.

2 Likes

Proff, I’m in no hurry to work on my test stand for v3, but I’ve got this things on a separate box…

I have now upgraded my image compression format to support alpha.
Now I just need to work out how the whole layer cake thing is going to work…

The nice thing about transparent stuff is that there is no need to worry about sub-rectangles of the display. Every layer simply covers the whole display, even if only small portions are non-transparent.

2 Likes

Progress (slow but steady)

4 Likes