Tips: Better Sound Clarity & Volume for your Saber

Ha, beat me to it. Was just gonna reply and tag @profezzorn to validate it and ask if there’s a recommended amp to use for trials.

DO IT!!! :smiley: Must impress HipHopTrooper at the next convention.

2 Likes

so something a bit like this?

the sealing of the speakers and the two halves will be crucial in making this work but i can print it out later and test it with the standard board amp to see how it performs.

1 Like

Yup. That’s it. Don’t forget the wire port(s). Re-inforced resin for the win but PLA will work for R&D.

Here’s a Rabbit Hole. Can a 3D printed enclosure get low? - YouTube

1 Like

ah yes Hexibass. he has a lot of really good videos

1 Like

going back to the idea of using a stand alone amp im wondering if somthing like this would do the trick?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amplifier-PAM8403-Digital-2-5V-5-5V-Efficiency/dp/B07P8Z3MRY/ref=asc_df_B07P8Z3MRY/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=372384296836&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8344601565109194203&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045735&hvtargid=pla-731989505493&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=79390523034&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=372384296836&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8344601565109194203&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045735&hvtargid=pla-731989505493

as it has inputs for direct audio (line in) im curious to know that if we set the volume very low if it would work.
im on the fence with this as im sure it would be easy to over drive the inputs so distorting the sound.
also as it has stereo input my thought was bridging the L + R inputs together to get the L and R outputs working?
this could then be used to power 2 speakers more efficiently.

What you really want is an amplifier that takes I2S or S/PDIF in.

1 Like

Also have to wonder: Instead of having a large chamber behind your speaker, would be be better to just rotate your speaker 90 degrees, and then have two of them next to each other inside the chamber? This would double the size of the diaphragm, which I think is the primary limit to reaching lower frequencies. I have a single ~30mm speaker mounted this way in my K4 hilt, which is pretty loud, even though the paths leading to the outside are fairly limited.

Instead of two speakers, one rectangular speaker could also work. Something 28mm tall and 50-60mm wide perhaps?

It’s not clear to me if a large diaphragm behind a smaller port/hole can still reach lower frequencies though.

could this be doubled up to power 2 speakers?

something similar to this one? not the best example i know but it gives the idea non the less.

1 Like

It’s a little big, but yes.

1 Like

yes indeed i can confirm this is true.
i can not beat my 40mm Dayton audio speaker!
as much as it’s a pain to design in something so large the gains it gives outweigh the impracticalities.

Yes it can.

Crazy idea of the day: Hook up S/PDIF out to a powerful RED LED, then replace the toslink cable with a lens and see if it works. :slight_smile:

1 Like

that went totally over my head, but what i think you said was use infra red light to transmit audio data to a receiver to play back over larger speaker???

a while back i was playing with other stuff and found an iginton sound that had sub frequencies of down to 20Hz in it.
i took a slow motion video of it playing on the 40mm speaker at 2500 volume.
i must add in that at the time i did not know it went down to this frequency and was just getting some footage of the driver cone excursion.

2 Likes

is this something that would be easy to implement, like just adding in a define in the config?

Just add one of these and wire it up. :slight_smile:

#define ENABLE_I2S_OUT
#define ENABLE_SPDIF_OUT
2 Likes

After I have enabled this I assume the config would still be used to control the output gain?

I’m gonna throw this into the mix now, you may be able to put an o-ring in there between the speaker faces as a means of holding and compressing the speakers so not only do they stay apart and in place but will also aid in sealing and damping the enclosure. In theory that is.

1 Like

Thats a good idea, I got some silicone cord that will fit nicely.

2 Likes