Lost Font

The pages I linked above will help, just start by reading and understanding the “Updating page” it’s a simple step-by-step process, just read and follow. Then, the config tool will help you rebuild the config (and use styles from my library) and your color change and editing will work correctly.

Thank you Prof. I think mine was #3. I was able to access edit mode again by pressing both pwr and aux while the saber was off. I think that particular font was removed and I copy and pasted another font and blade style in its place. Like Fett said my board was probably not configured correctly so I have those issues, plus issues changing blade colors and blade styles with kyber dial.
The font that’s missing is called “Unstable” which is nice to have for a cross guard.
If I remove the presets.ini & presets.tmp from my SD card do I still have to flash the board with Arduino? or do I put the card back in the saber and is good to go?
Thank you Prof and Fett, you have been very kind and welcoming to me!

This just reverts to the default config that’s loaded, nothing else is needed unless you want to fix or change the loaded config.

Yesir. I will then probably give that a try first and see how it works. and then eventually reconfigure my board and config.h file as I gain confidence. Thank you!

Gentleman, I was able to delete those temp files on the SD card and recovered the lost font and everything is back to the original configuration. all the blade effects work fine, I’m just concerned that I won’t be able to make any changes and may run into issues again because my saber is not configured properly as Fett said. I plugged into Arduino to verify my board and got this error message:

/Documents/Joe/Proffie Saber/ProffieOS/ProffieOS.ino:1560:10: error: #include expects “FILENAME” or
1560 | #include CONFIG_FILE
| ^~~~~~~~~~~
exit status 1

Compilation error: #error Please set CONFIG_FILE as shown above.

Is there any way to fix that in the config file I have, or do I just need to create a new config.h file for my board?

Thanks for all your help, I couldn’t fix my saber without your help. Well not quite fixed yet but getting there.

What you did is not “verify the board,” but rather attempt to compile the version of ProffieOS you (seemingly) downloaded. If you’re trying to compile ProffieOS manually (i.e. without ProffieConfig), there’s setup that has to happen first.

You need to copy your config into the ProffieOS/config folder and, as the error message states:

Please set CONFIG_FILE as shown above.

You need to open the ProffieOS.ino file in Arduino and edit it so you have a line like:

#define CONFIG_FILE "config/FILENAME.h"

at the top. This is explained in the comments in the ProffieOS.ino file.

At this point your configuration file has absolutely no impact on the error because you haven’t setup ProffieOS to look for your config file at all. Once you set the #define and re-compile (“verify,” as Arduino calls it) you’ll see if there are actually any errors with your configuration itself.

got it. I think. I was trying to check my config file on my board to see what kind of errors it has to try to fix it if it’s feasible. Thanks ryryog.

Whenever you upload your configuration to your board, what you’re really doing is “compiling” ProffieOS and uploading that to your board. What this means is that your configuration file becomes a part of ProffieOS. If it had errors, it wouldn’t be on the board in the first place. (Pressing “verify” is the same thing as what happens when you press “upload,” simply without actually putting it on the board)

Now, to clear up potential confusion, I’m not talking about any configuration file that might be on the SD card, that’s different. Whenever you upload ProffieOS to the board it gets put onto the microcontroller (think of it as the CPU or “brain” of the proffieboard) directly, not the SD card. It’s the actual code that the proffieboard runs.

Whenever you edit settings on the proffieboard you’re not changing your config file (because it in fact no longer exists, it’s just become part of the code), what’s happening are those .ini files are created to store the settings.

That’s why deleting them restores everything back to the configuration defaults.

So there’s a few different things at play here. It can be a bit confusing, but basically it boils down to this:

You have a configuration file (ends in .h) where you can setup things like SAVE_STATE, VOLUME, etc.

That configuration file gets combined with ProffieOS, turned into unreadable machine code, and placed on the microcontroller.

When you edit settings, ProffieOS creates .ini files to save them, but you’re not actually changing the config.

If you want to setup completely new (not copied or edited) presets, that requires editing the config on your computer so you can create a new version of ProffieOS to put on your proffieboard.

Every time you upload to the board you completely erase the existing ProffieOS and replace it with a new one, which is created based off the “recipe” that is your configuration file.

Hopefully that clears up the technical semantics about what exactly is going on.

So then, yeah, for actually making edits to that config file, that’s where all the previously-posted resources can come in to explain that process :slight_smile:

That makes perfect sense and I understand how it works now. Thanks so much. I will use the tools listed above to either edit my config file or create a new one to upload.

1 Like

Edit mode can be a blast if the Blade Style supports it. If your old blade styles don’t work correctly, you can use Fett’s OS7 Library to create new ones that do. There’s tons of options, you will be able to re-create the styles you currently have, with additional options/features.

1 Like

You should backup your current config before trying to flash it with a new config–just to be safe.
Proffieboard programmer (profezzorn.github.io)

Instructions:
ProffieOS Documentation: How to back up a Proffieboard (hubbe.net)