Fetts prop and sensitivity, and sound issues

BC prop also differs using thrust to trigger stab, and stab to trigger melt.

I’m new to fetts prop but with the limited time I’ve played with it, so far I think I prefer how bc handles melt/drag but I do like some of the other features fetts prop offers so I’m trying to muddle through and learn as much as I can about fetts prop.

Serial Monitor, set_volume 100 is your friend.
It would also narrow down whether speaker volume is a culprit.

I did the volume trick while I was messing around last night but honesty it not indicative of a real test. My vol is set to 2000, I want it close to that in the end so I’ll be doing some tests tonight, if I still see the issue I’m gonna drop the vol in 100 unit increments until I see improvements. I’m hoping I don’t even have the issue anymore with the insulation I put on the speaker housing.

These Swing ON events are interesting?

unit = 3 vol = 0.00, Playing TeensySF/swingh03.wav
channels: 1 rate: 44100 bits: 16
EVENT: Swing ON millis=25501
unit = 2 vol = 0.00, Playing TeensySF/swingl03.wav
unit = 3 vol = 0.00, Playing TeensySF/swingh03.wav
EVENT: Swing ON millis=26092
EVENT: Swing ON millis=26296
unit = 2 vol = 0.00, Playing TeensySF/swingl07.wav
unit = 3 vol = 0.00, Playing TeensySF/swingh07.wav
EVENT: Swing ON millis=26903
EVENT: Swing ON millis=27712
unit = 3 vol = 0.00, Playing TeensySF/swingl04.wav
unit = 2 vol = 0.00, Playing TeensySF/swingh04.wav

I certainly couldn’t swing the chassis while connected to the serial monitor, so yeah interesting indeed. I definitely wasn’t swinging it lol. I was like, rolling it on my desk while it was connected to get the gestures to trigger.

FWIW BC=NoSloppy. So ya know,

That’s just smoothswing movements from prop_base, what’s interesting about it?

I was under the impression the hilt was laying on a table, not being swung.

Twist is a pretty simple gesture, you just rotate your hilt in one direction and then back in the reverse direction once. If you’re continuously rotating it back and forth multiple times it’s going to trigger multiple events, the “fix” is to do it once.

Other than the gesture spamming were there other differences in the clash detection, etc. between the props that I missed? In your comparison of the props what exactly was acting differently, was it just Twist and the Stab from inserting the chassis (both of which would be expected) or was there a difference in false clash detection as the original post suggested?

he said he was rolling it around to trigger gestures

Just out of no other option. I emulated the gesture just fine tho.

I think you were dead on with your first suggestion. The speaker was really kicking around the chassis and on top of that I had stab and thrust ignition enabled which was the problem with inserting it. Putting the clash detection up to 4.5 also really helped that section. So yeah I think the problems are sorted out. I’ll be doing more testing with it tonight but from what I’ve seen it’s much better.

Yeah I see that now. However, I don’t know how rolling is interpreted as a swing, so to me that’s interesting . Just an observation of a gesture reported in a place I wouldn’t expect to see it. Just trying to shed some light on what’s happening here. I still don’t think we’ve gotten much closer to any sort of definitive cause. I have no idea why prop file would matter.
@Furinex What happens if you use default saber.h? (well, no gestures there) but maybe like shtok prop?

1 Like

Yep, I appreciate his involvement, considering I’ve been using his prop file since I started with proffie.

I would be willing to try anything. I’ll try and give it a shot later tonight.

OK, if there is something that pops up we can certainly look deeper but to date I’ve not seen anything that suggests the prop is doing anything differently, except for intentional changes to improve usage and response.

smoothswing detects very small movements, if you move the saber at all while connected to Serial Monitor this is normal in my experience, you can see the swing pairs playing after each of those printed events, at any rate the print is from prop_base not my prop so it wouldn’t be different between your prop and mine.

Swing events are detected by the prop, not by the smoothswing code.
In the standard prop this means the fusor is returning a swing speed over 250 degrees per second, but if I remember correctly the fett263 prop has it’s own code for this with defines to set the sensitivity.

If the orientation is configured wrong, then rolling the saber on the sable would generate swings.

Correct, I meant the swing pairs playing in the serial output were showing small movements happening, the prop_base generates the “EVENT: Swing ON millis=” print in the Serial Monitor so paired with the swing pairs the saber was moving during those times and the user confirmed he was moving the saber around during those times.

The define for Swing Speed that changes detection only applies while the saber is off, when the saber is on my prop just uses DetectSwing()

While ON =

While OFF (the “} else {” is from “if (SaberBase::IsOn()) {” =

And since BC’s prop uses the same code from my OS5 prop (sa22c just had a copy of my OS5 gesture detection in his OS5 prop and BC’s prop is just a modded version of that, so all three are technically identical for all gesture detection as they’re all based on mine) I don’t see how this would be different anyway. The only change related to OS6 in my prop is that we have allow Swing On Speed to be modified in the gesture.ini file in addition to the config define (swingonspeed gets it’s default value from the FETT263_SWING_ON_SPEED define just like BC’s)
ProffieOS/saber_fett263_buttons.h at 3b4da422bc540d303316de89ae63416c63af77c5 · profezzorn/ProffieOS · GitHub so both props run identically for swing detection while on or off.

While ON in BC:

While OFF in BC:

If there’s something I missed I definitely would want to fix but so far every report, including this one, the vibrations from the speaker have been the cause, not the actual prop. Maybe there’s still something in motion detection that needs tweaking or a change but I think it’s universal, not prop specific and as noted before I have 10 different sabers running my prop and none of these issues have shown up on any of them so it definitely seems like the cause is at least related to the saber itself.

1 Like